Complaint Review: Spark Energy

Texas Internet United States of America

Spark Energy Rate Bumb / Ripoff on Electric Bill , Internet

*Consumer Comment: Spark Energy Issue

*Consumer Comment: Same Experience

Signed with Spark Energy to get a lower electrictity rate. I locked in 7.8 which was the lowest rate available at the time. Within 6-months of my signing, I noticed on my bill that the rate had jumped to 8.95. I called the company after seeing what appeared to be thousands of complaints against them and started to get a run around by a customer service rep. But the run around I expected...what I didn't expect was the lie they used to justify the rate increase. They said I signed last year and my 12-month contract had expired and this was the rate while I was not under contract.

They told me they would refund my money by check but no one had ever gotten a check from them in any complaint I read. Then the rep offered me a rate of 7.4 to re-sign. I called Connecticut Light & Power and resigned with them. I got scammed before Spark Energy by another electric company so...doesn't anyone police these freak shows they call power company's. Spark Energy is a nightmare. Don't even consider signing with them unless you want to get ripped off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2012 05:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spark-Energy/internet/Spark-Energy-Rate-Bumb-Ripoff-on-Electric-Bill-Internet-926755. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spark Energy

Spark Energy Issue

AUTHOR: GDB - (United States of America)

All any consumer wants from their electricity supplier is reliable service at a fair price.  It is outrageous that companies like Spark Energy appear to be misrepresenting their rates as based on the market when they are in fact much higher.  This practice of overcharging for electricity appears to be a blatant violation of consumer protection laws, and Meiselman, Denlea, Packman, Carton & Eberz, P.C. is actively investigating a potential class action against Spark Energy.  If you would like to discuss your legal options, please do not hesitate to contact me:

Greg Blankinship, Esq.
Meiselman, Denlea, Packman, Carton & Eberz, P.C.
1311 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
914-517-5000
[email protected]

To ensure compliance with applicable rules of professional conduct, please note that this post might be construed as Attorney Advertising.  Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Same Experience

AUTHOR: Illinois - (United States of America)

We had the same experience with them.  When my contract expired, I called and spoke with a customer service rep and and told her that I was no longer interested in their services.  She warned me about going to another company and since SHE felt that I was making a mistake she did not cancel the contract as I requested.

When the contract terminated they switched me to a variable rate.  I contacted the company when I found this.  They put me in touch with a supervisor who returned my calls, however since I was not home they left phone numbers that when called did not reach a person, went into a garbled voice mail.  I can understand once, but this happened twice.

I filed a complaint with the Commerce Commission, but they responded that I never told them to cancel services and I did not provide them with another supplier....funny I as far as I know ComEd can act as a supplier and that is what assumed they were going to do as it was none of thier business who I choose.