Complaint Review: Speakeasy / Megapath

• Reported By: Bradleyb — New Albany Indiana USA
Speakeasy / Megapath
1201 Western Ave Seattle, Washington United States of America

Speakeasy / Megapath / Impossible to receive refund / Seattle, Washington

*Author of original report: Refund received

*Author of original report: Received a call from Megapath this evening

I was a DSL broadband customer with Speakeasy which later become Megapath for around ten-years.

I cancelled service on July 5th, 2011 (switched to cable for $10 less/month for twice the upload speed) and given a confirmation number and told that service would be turned off within minutes - and it was.

I then received an invoice via email on 7/6/2011 showing a credit balance of $143.70

I called 800-556-5829 on August 8th, 2011 to inquire regarding the return of the credit balance on the account. I was told that it would be returned in 6-8 weeks.

I called 800-556-5829 again on September 22nd, 2011 to inquire about the return of the credit balance and was given a ticket number and again told that it would take 6-8 weeks for the credit balance to be refunded.

I asked since service was disconnected on July 5th - was it necessary for me to call and request the return of the credit balance and the CSR states that if I hadn't called that they routinely refund credit balances every six-months but by calling I was able to expedite that process to 6-8 weeks. [continued below]....
.....

It seems strange that it takes so long to get a refund mailed to you (remember, I cancelled service on July 5th, 2011 and it's now September 29th, 2011).

I've read in many places that since Speakeasy merged with Megapath that quality has gone downhill and I would have to agree.  The few times that I've dealt with anyone from Speakeasy / Megapath were always friendly and helpful but that wasn't the case this time.

I paid about $125/month for a DSL circuit with 6.0 down and 768 up because they allowed hosting - so if you need business class service I would check out cable but DSL isn't a bad choice if it's your only choice.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2011 09:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Speakeasy-Megapath/Seattle-Washington-98101/Speakeasy-Megapath-Impossible-to-receive-refund-Seattle-Washington-782871. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Speakeasy / Megapath

Refund received

AUTHOR: Bradleyb - (USA)

I received my refund check today.

Received a call from Megapath this evening

AUTHOR: Bradleyb - (USA)

I received a telephone call from Megapath this evening (approximately 7:30 EST).  I'm not sure if they called because of this report being filed or not but they had little real information to report.

They did apologize for it taking so long for the refund to be processed.   He said, "this was discovered about a week ago and that he's waiting for information on how long it will take to process the refund."  He agreed to keep me updated when he has more information.

So while there was nothing new - at least they called me this time.

I can only assume it was either from this report on this site or the complaint I filed with the states AG office that prompted the call.