casual

Complaint Review: Special Children's Christmas Party!

• Submitted: Mon, January 30, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, February 05, 2013

• Reported By: anonymous — brisbane United States of America
Special Children's Christmas Party!
Suite 3a, 26 Redland Bay Rd Internet United States of America

Special Children's Christmas Party! Claiming to be a charity well in fact they are a big SCAM! Internet

*Consumer Comment: I just had their call centre ring me

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: As an insider

*General Comment: my opinion only no one elses

*Consumer Comment: No scam

*Author of original report: Legit Scam- Special Children's Christmas Party!

Today I received another  fax from the Special Kids Party asking for a donation to help special kids  for Christmas so I decided to look at their party and organisation in more detail.  I remembered that the telemarketer used words and phrases that make the special Children's Party seem like a charity but in fact it's a SCAM.   I did some further searching after my lunch break  and found out that all of their websites dont use the typical charity URL extension .org   and my accountant advised that authentic charities do not charge GST on their invoices(Charities are GST exempted).  I cant believe they would act as a charity when in fact they are not a charity. I hope someone can stop this group!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2012 06:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Special-Childrens-Christmas-Party/internet/Special-Childrens-Christmas-Party-Claiming-to-be-a-charity-well-in-fact-they-are-a-big-831434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Special Children's Christmas Party!

I just had their call centre ring me

AUTHOR: Anon - (United States of America)

Can anyone clarify for me what this is about as I have just had them on the phone to me yesterday , they claim on the phone to be representatives of variety which I believe to be a charitable organisation and not a business as has been discussed above .
Surely there are government organisations that crack down on this behaviour ?
I don't mind giving to kids in need every year but after reading this how much of the money I give goes to this party ?

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

As an insider

AUTHOR: Munro - (Australia)

As someone who has seen first hand what really goes on inside this company there are several conclusions that can truly be made . Yes at the end of the year there is in fact a party held in several states and city's around Australia and I also believe there to be one In Canada shortly . Whilst nobody can argue what a good thing that this brings to the lives of many children I believe there are things overlooked . The massive profiteering that this company does in fact provide for itself whilst claiming it for to being all for the children is not short of what should be made an offence if the accc haven't been made aware of the working practices of this and many other pseudo charitable causes then that is also something where questions are to be asked . The company where the toys are purchased from as presents for said children is also a company owned by the person who gets paid a large monthly licensing fee for this business to operate . Two bites of the cherry it seems . Also when questioned about the goings on of this business the directors have openly laughed at this being something that sails too close to the legal wind and that they themselves would never give to any "charitable" organisations .

#3 General Comment

my opinion only no one elses

AUTHOR: calanimahbe - (New Zealand)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and views of The Special Childrens Christmas Party,  well here is my point of view about it.

It is not a registered charity, the reason why it has GST added on top obviously means that it is a business. A business that invites children from charities, organisations, schools and groups. Of course it's been around for about 18 years which means that it is a huge success, I find it highly unusual for it to be a scam if it has been around for that long and only one person has made a complaint.

I believe that you have not done enough investigating with this event and you can only do so much from behind your computer. The good old saying don't mock it unless you try it. If you actually gave it a chance and sponsored the event and made the time to go to the event yourself to see what a difference it does make to some children then still have the same feelings that you have now about it. Then I guess there would be nothing else to say. Which means that there is more to this event than you think.

I have a nine year old daughter who was diagnosed with a life threatening illness when she was a toddler, of course no parent likes to see their child go through so much in a short amount of time. This brave young girl under went blood and platelet transfusions on a weekly basis and this took at least 12 hours for one lot of transfusions to finish on both bloods and platelet together (was done at least twice a week). Bone marrow biospy was done with 8 punctures on her lower back. To this day she still has her wounds/scars. With so much that had happened to her all she could do is smile back at me and say its alright mum i'll be fine. Children deserve to be happy and be kids i think at times they have to grow up faster than adults.

When she was better she was invited to the Special Childrens Christmas Party through the Cancer Foundation. This event was amazing, to see her face light up with excitement for me it was a kodak moment. This is the one place where she felt normal again being surrounded by children that were either in worse or similar situations as herself. Of course a party like this will not cure illnesses but it was one day out of the year where she could put her worries aside and actually be a kid for a change. At the event they have a variety of things for kids. Bouncy castles, face painting, merry go rounds, train rides everything you name it for kids to have a blast. it was one of her happiest moments that she has had.

So although it may not be what you think. It sure did make a difference to a five year old. I am hoping that this changes your views on the event because you cant judge a book by its cover.

Thank you for the people who are ringing up businesses to find sponsorship for these children in need I know that it is not an easy job but your making a difference to these children. Thank you to sponsors who are helping smiles on these childrens faces are absolutely priceless and thanks to your help you made the day possible for these kids.

No scam

AUTHOR: patti - (United States of America)

In looking over their website, I find no claims whatsoever claiming to be a charity.  It is just an organization that puts on a party for children.  You don't have to be a charity organization to do this.  Evidently, this is the 18th year of doing this.  It seems very worthwhile.  How did they rip you off?

Legit Scam- Special Children's Christmas Party!

AUTHOR: anonymous - (Australia)

Today I received another  fax from the Special Kids Party asking for a donation to help special kids  for Christmas so I decided to look at their party and organisation in more detail.  I remembered that the telemarketer used words and phrases that make the special Children's Party seem like a charity but in fact it's a SCAM.   I did some further searching after my lunch break  and found out that all of their websites dont use the typical charity URL extension .org   and my accountant advised that authentic charities do not charge GST on their invoices(Charities are GST exempted).  I cant believe they would act as a charity when in fact they are not a charity. I hope someone can stop this group!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC