Complaint Review: Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Submitted: Sat, January 11, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, May 02, 2005

• Reported By:Jackson Michigan
Specialty Merchandise Corporation
Chatsworth, California Chatsworth, California U.S.A.

Specialty Merchandise Corporation deceptive ripoff company Chatsworth California

*Consumer Comment: Just No Lies and No more Hype

*UPDATE Employee: SMC is good business

*Consumer Comment: SMC isn't really worth argue with

*Consumer Comment: Another phony rebuttal by SMC employee Gilbert - Jane, Missouri

*Consumer Suggestion: smc not as bad as said

*Consumer Suggestion: Caveat Emptor

When I first ordered the "business", I was impressed by the low prices. Initially, I went around showing the catalog to friends and family.

I did receive a lot of orders which did seem profitable until you added the outragous shipping and handling.

Then, when you did receive your merchandise, there were several items listed out of stock. Instead of sending the items that were already paid for when they came in stock, you have to reorder them and pay the outragous shipping again.

I will be cancelling my membership if I can ever get the rest of the orders that my customers oredered.

Cheri
Jackson, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/11/2003 10:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/Chatsworth-California/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-deceptive-ripoff-company-Chatsworth-California-41110. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corporation

Just No Lies and No more Hype

AUTHOR: Charles - (Saint Kitts and Nevis)

Just No Lies and No more Hype: This is the main prolem with SMC are - those LIES.

Ok they want to make money - but NOT by LIEING or mislesding others to buy into their membership by showing other who are INDEED Liars.

The reason SMC LIES - if they told the truth only a few would buy their membership and then those few coul make some money - WHY? Because the market would not be so SATURATED with their products.

Another BIG problem - You get a membership and work real hard trying to find a retailer who has not heard of SMC - Boom you sign them up - next month they see SMC on TV or on the web - BOOM BOOM now why do they need you - You did all the work and now SMC get all the MONEY ---- Do you see the story line here guys/gals....

Goto any Search Engine and use the Search Term SMC - Guess who is paying - YES PAYING for those terms - YES SMC is and competing with you behind your stinking back.

SMC is NOT here to help you, they are trying to line their already heavy packets.

Anyone who competes or threatens SMC ends up on their so called Proscribed List -

SellCorp.com -> Much better than SMC
CertifiedSEO.com -> why? and many others...

Its a wonder why The Ripoff Report has not ended up on their proscribed list- or maybe I have spoken to soon.....

SMC is good business

AUTHOR: Troy - (U.S.A.)

I think the problem with many is that they want it all NOW and FAST! When I started with SMC I wasnt thinking pie in the sky fast bucks. They have some good products that, yes, like other companies do go out of stock, but once I found it was I contacted my customer and we discussed another product. Anyone that wants to stock up products (and dont have a definite plan on how to sell them) will have problems. If I put more thought into it I can do great. But currently it's not a high priority. I've sold briefcases, stuffed animals and leopard print items and have made about $800. But that is without effort. Anyone that wants to be successful needs to plan out and strategize and even learn sales tactics for this to work. It's not easy as pie, but it is a good, decent company.

SMC isn't really worth argue with

AUTHOR: Yeong - (U.S.A.)

First of all, "Spelling and grammer" is not related to SMC. So stop attacking personally.

Second, I also have a membership with SMC. Did I become rich?? NO! Did I even able to earn a living from selling SMC stuff?? NO! Did I pissed off by them?? YES! Did I really really would like to have my $300 back?( that is how much I "spend" on the membership) Yes and No. Why "Yes and No"? No, because SMC did give me a chance to have my own business and make me realize it is possible to have my own dream. Yes, because the "chance" they offer is so tiny and SMC is the one that causing it.

Third, SMC is just trying to earn money from us, just like what "we" are trying to earn our customer's money. Therefore, they don't really care about their member much. As long as your guys out there BUY their stuff, they don't care did you sell or not or how did you sell it. (this is the reason why nobody earn from SMC!!!)

Finally, I had my chance to voice my feeling toward SMC. I hate them but they are also the one that actually STARTED my dream. now? I actually investing my money START my own business

Another phony rebuttal by SMC employee Gilbert - Jane, Missouri

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Gilbert - Jane, Missouri
Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about. Sounds like all you are doing is using the SMC bullsh*t to convince everyone that they are all wrong and SMC does everything correctly. WRONG!

Your first ignorant comment:
i am a member of smc and have been for about 3 years. it was going to be a home based thing but after i also found out that the aforesaid problems are very true but can be avoided by using the online members web site for placing orders.

Hmmm...do the products magically appear to be in stock because you use the members only website? They don't for me, in fact every one of my orders have had at least 1 or 2 items that weren't in stock and the company didn't even have it on the "Out of Stock" list. I have even gone so far as to instruct my customers to email with the item numbers they want, I check the website and, yep! out of stock, sure wish SMC would get their act together and put together the damn out of stock list, like we need. When I first signed up 3 years ago the website stated that all members would get this list emailed to them everyday. I never received anything. FRAUD!

The second ignorant post:
so the shipinng cost dosent eat you alive.
buy the wife something or get christmass gifts early or birthday gifts use your head and you got a good deal but dont know it yet. now if you plan to sell the stuff i advise you to never have orders dropshiped always have the orders shiped to you so you can check things over cause things do get broken in shipping.

So now, not only do you have to pay for shipping to your home, you have to charge from your home to your customer. Wake up Gilbert!

Okay, Gilbert, what happened to your spelling here?
and as you should know every item has a warrenty for free replacementif youll look in the back of the book youll find them read them there the best iv ever seen who do you know that will replace costume jewlerry for free for life regardless of how it got broken yes it cost more to replace then its worth but whats it worth to ya you decide.

Um, no offense, but you need to check your dictionary if you can't spell a majority of the words in our language.

Wait it gets better:
i would stay away from the ecomrice thing tho it really sucks hi cost to start up and a pane to mantaine i dont think theye get full permission or inquire as to how much freedom theye have to sell items like disiney items iv seen letters that have told ecomrice people to remove items from there sites untill further notice. so in a nut shell its not that bad of deal and shouldent be reported here as a ripoff because its not a rippoff it is only if you dont know how to use it.

How many words can you find that are misspelled. This happens a lot with the English as a second language employees that SMC is known for hiring. God bless the worker, they are only doing what they have to, to make a living, but screw SMC for misleading these individuals to think that the people that complain are crackpots.

Here's where more magic makes things work, now pay close attention towards the end - it stops making sense and what is that part about the rodeo?:
read your books annd watch the tapes and you would have avoided the out of stock problem and you are the owner of your smc thing so tell the person hey im sorry for the inconvience ill tell you what choose another item of the same price and when this item comes in ill give it to for free or half price regardless you still come out ahead theye pay more for shipping then you and theye pay more for the item then you and if theye pay full price you still make enough to get the other and have a little profit. you know im right so dont even try to say im wrong. this is not my first rodeo. so have fun. a fellow smc member

Reading a book and watching the tapes will keep the products in stock???? That's a new one on me. Where are you getting your information? What's even more ludicrous is the fact that you state to give items away for free!!! No one in their right mind marks up this trash 3x like the company suggests. I only make 50 cents on the dollar for my products and it still doesn't sell. This means that if the cost for an item is $1 I charge $1.50.

No one wants this crap in their house or in their store!

STAY AWAY FROM SMC!!!Most of the employees are actually hired to monitor this and other boards.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

smc not as bad as said

AUTHOR: Gilbert - (U.S.A.)

at the time of order you can see what is in stock and have the chance to let the people know that its out of stock and when it will be back in stock. i agree you wont get rich at this and it is best to be used for a hobbie or for retired people for just something to do and a chance to visit with people.

i have chossen this method and theye really do have some cool stuff at a good white price so i say keep your membership since it did cost around 400.00 and only cost 25.00 a year to renew why waste the 400.00 you know you can buy a watch that wallmart sales for 20.00 in the smc book it only cost you like 3.00 to 5.00 but make your order large enough

so the shipinng cost dosent eat you alive.

and as you should know every item has a warrenty for free replacement
yes it cost more to replace then its worth but whats it worth to ya you decide.

and the other warrenties are just as good on all the other items
and regardless of how long it takes you to place a totale of $5,000.00 worth of orders once that amount is reached smc will refund your startup cost so you get your $400.00 back and theres no time limit so play your cards right and you come out in front.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Caveat Emptor

AUTHOR: Lee - (U.S.A.)

Three things stick out.

First, what reputable company is reduced to needing to find a sales force by advertising on the television? There is an immense network for companies providing goods and services to get their goods sold.

Second, promises of high returns. I been in sales for practically all my life and I know the difficulty involved in selling so I knew there should be a huge volume of rip off reports. You will not get rich with this. No way.

Third, almost every rip off report has numerous rebuttals. Albeit the rebuttals are either by the same person or we have a problem in this country with major grammatical errors and poor pselling. (No, this is my attempt at humor. It's intentional.)

When these three ingredients are present you can bet your investment will be a loss.

Thank you ripoffreport.com for this forum. I wish everyone who is considering in an investment to come here first.