Complaint Review: Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Submitted: Wed, January 23, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 29, 2008

• Reported By:Portsmouth Ohio
Specialty Merchandise Corporation
13230 San Bernardino Ave. Fontana, California U.S.A.

Specialty Merchandise Corporation One year later, after cancelling my membership, I received a bill through a collection agency. Fontana California

*Author of original report: SMC is at it again!!! What are they doing, starting a yearly ritual???

In 11/2006, I called the toll-free number my SMC supervisor, without question or hesitation, gave me to call in and cancel my membership, should I wish to do so, only to receive a recording, nothing more.

After this, also in 11/2006, I wrote a letter explaining my reasons why I wished to cancel my membership.

Following this letter, I received two additional monthly mailings which I put back in the mail to be returned to SMC, after which I wrote a second letter of cancellation in case SMC did not receive my first letter.

What puzzles me is, if SMC were truly concerned about this situation, why would they wait one year after presumably receiving my 11/2006, letter of cancellation, to contact me and then through a collection agency before even trying to first contact me directly?!

Christopher
Portsmouth, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2008 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/Fontana-California-92335/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-One-year-later-after-cancelling-my-membership-I-receiv-302599. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corporation

SMC is at it again!!! What are they doing, starting a yearly ritual???

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

It has now been another year gone by before SMC has tried once more to claim I owe them, this time from a different collection agency.

Another point I feel needs to be addressed is the fact that the collection agency's letter also contained a statement in regard to reporting me to the credit bureau(s) as being delinquent on this particular "claim". A statement to which my reply was and still is as follows:
FURTHERMORE:Please be advised that I know my rights and that as long as this claim is in dispute, it is illegal to report me to the credit bureau(s) as being delinquent.

Sincerely,
Christopher Reed

P.S. While adding this update, I would also like to make note that, like several others, I originally thought with Tom Bosley being a spokesperson
for SMC that they would be a very reliable company. Talk about a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!