Complaint Review: Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Submitted: Tue, January 12, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, January 12, 2010

• Reported By: Breanna — vancouver Washington U.S.A.
Specialty Merchandise Corporation
996 flower glen st. simi valley, California United States of America

Specialty Merchandise Corporation SMC stole money simi valley, California

I joined SMC in November of '09 after my dad saw an informercial saying it was $25 to start your own home business that is apparently SO successful. After calling to join, they told me it was actually $40 dollars... A MONTH! for a total of almost $500 unless you wanted to pay it in full that day and receive a discount.

Reluctantly I agreed with the 40/a month charge and joined. I ended up never selling anything and this morning received an account alert on my debit card that SMC took out $80 dollars. After almost 15 minutes of googling SMC to find their customer service number, I found a "805" area code number and called that. They told me that I cannot close my account because I had been a member for over 30 days! At no point was I ever told that I only had 30 days to cancel. Furthermore that I was obligated to pay the full $500. I said NO and the guy on the phone said "Luckilly for you i can offer you a deal, pay $79 dollars today and that will satisfy your contract for a full year" I then reminded him that SMC had taken 79 dollars out THAT MORNING and he said he had no record of it. [continued below]....
..... I asked to speak to a supervisor and was forwarded to some womans voicemail who has yet to even call me back. I just filed a BBB report and am waiting for the pending charge on my debit card to go through so I can file a dispute with that as well.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2010 12:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/simi-valley-California-93065/Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-SMC-stole-money-simi-valley-California-553135. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corporation