Complaint Review: Speedy Appliance Service

• Updated: Fri, May 31, 2013

• Reported By: starclassic — Woodmere New York
Speedy Appliance Service
77 Mill Road Freeport, New York USA

Speedy Appliance Service Lied to me, tried to charge more after, would explain repair services Freeport New York

I recently had a very unpleasant experience with Speedy Appliance Service. When my washing machine started shutting off in the middle of a cycle, I called Speedy. There was an error code that popped up on my machine so I did some research on the error code before I called them and discovered that in most case, this error code is caused by a faulty sensor. They told me it was $75 for a diagnostic service call, and if I went through with the repair, that would be credited towards the repair.

The technician (who was very nice by the way), came to my house, opened my washer, looked inside with a flashlight (eventhough the error code said it was a motor issue behind the machine) and said ok, I have to do some more research on the error code, we will cll you later with a quote to fix. I should have caught on then when they basically charged me $75 to have a technician look into my machine with a flashlight.

The same technician called me back an hour later and told me he spoke with the manager and that there indeed was a problem with the motor, and I would have to replace a sensor and the stator. (clearly he looked up the error code, just like I did, as he never even opened the back of the machine). He told me it would be $550 to repair, $200 for the parts and $350 for the labor as it would be a few hour, intensive job and he would have to take apart the whole back of the machine. I said that was quite high and almost the cost of the machine and if there was any better he could do. He told me if I paid cash, he could take off the tax and that was all he was authorized to do, but maybe if I called the manager at the office, he could do better. I called the office and the manager apparntly already left for the day and he would have to call me back the next morning. (it was 11:30 am by the way).

I got no call back the next morning so at about 4:30pm the next day I called back again and I had the honor of speaking to the rude, obnoxious secretary. She "looked up" my account and told me the manager called me that morning and noone picked up and he left a voicemail. When I told her I had no voicemail or missed calls, she told me "I must not know how to use my cell phone properly" After going back and forth, she said the manager would have to call me the next morning as he wasnt in again.

The next morning, he did actually call me and then told me they did more research and in fact i would have to replace the rotor also for $100 more.  He then told me that I should have agreed to the price 2 days earlier because then I would have gotten it at the cheaper rate. When I asked him to explain the issue specifically and why the rotor would also need to be replaced, he wouldnt answer and said "my job is not to teach you how a washer works but to just fix it". I said if I'm spending $650, I would just like to know the specifics of what I'm spending it on. He had the nerve to say, "it's not my concern as to how the washer works and the problem with it, my only concern should be that it's fixed when he's done with it". I basically told him at that point to screw off!

I then decided to do some research on LG's website (manufacturer of my washer) and after speaking to an LG technician there, he told me that it is common for the sensor to go but he has NEVER once seen a stator go on these washers (this would be the first) and the rotor has nothing to do with the sensor or stator. He said it's most probable that if I replaced the sensor, it would be fixed and he told me the part number.

After finding the part on Amazon for $12 including shipping and a YouTube video explaining how to replace it, I went at it myself. After a half hour the sensor was fully replaced. I put up a test load and it worked with absolutely no problems. I spent $12 and a half hour of my time, and saved $638 and having to deal with the obnoxious manager again.

My advice, Speedy Appliance Services preys on people who are uneducated and unwilling to do their reasearch. Do your research on the problem and chances are you will find that if it isn't a Do-It-Yourself fix, they are prbably significnaly overcharging.  AND you have to deal with the rude, obnoxious secretary and manager.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/31/2013 05:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Speedy-Appliance-Service/Freeport-New-York-11520/Speedy-Appliance-Service-Lied-to-me-tried-to-charge-more-after-would-explain-repair-se-1055441. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Speedy Appliance Service