Harbor

• Reported By: Didmaster — United States of America
Spirit Air
Mirimar, florida Internet United States of America

Spirit Air Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Club auto-renewal scam Internet

The$9 Unfair Club is a SCAM.  This airline is disgusting in both physical and ethical form.  My wife and I took one round trip flight last year and vowed to never fly Spirit again.  Almost one year later, I just saw a membership renewal charge on my Amex for $60 and immediately called them to cancel like so many others and was declined.  They bill it like its a flight, so Amex claims their hands are tied since I agreed to renewal terms upon signing up.

Spirit is banking on these renewals and would likely have a lot less member revenue if they didn't trick people into automated renewals.  I had no intention of flying this airline again after experiencing sitting in a filthy plane that my wife and I still vividly remember gross details of from a year ago (e.g. Leatherish gray seats with black greasy stains and dirty tissues from other flights jammed in my seat pocket).  At best, the quality of their planes compare to a bus station restroom.  For others sake, I hope they maintain the mechanics better than the aesthetics with their less than no frills approach.

Back to the auto-renewal, the Spirit website and call center is clearly structured to deny all refund requests for these auto-renewed memberships.  I look at this to be a consumer advocacy issue.  If Spirit can get away with this shady business practice, other vendors could do exactly the same and it could turn into a larger scam across the Internet.

I am interested in pursuing a class action suit if there are others in the same boat as me.  I am appalled by this airline's highly questionable business practices and am surprised they haven't been sued for this yet.  Please email me your experience at the link below if you have also been SCAMMED by Spirit's auto-renewal program ($9 Fare Club).  With enough interest, I will contact a few lawyers to discuss our options.  I am doing this as a matter of principle and promise this is my first time doing anything like this.  I don't need the $60, but the sole fact that a company can try to get away with something like this really gets under my skin.

Please email me at (((ROR redacted))) with your experience if it relates to the same SCAM I wrote about.  I will be posting this on other sites as well as I'm sure I'm not the only guy who googled this non-sense after finding this charge on their credit card.  I promise not to sell anyone's contact info, etc.   My intentions are completely good/honest and for bringing this dubious business practice immediately to an end.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2012 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-Air/internet/Spirit-Air-Spirit-Airlines-9-Fare-Club-auto-renewal-scam-Internet-859115. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit Air