Complaint Review: Spirit Airlines

• Submitted: Sun, June 29, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 29, 2008

• Reported By:Astoria New York
Spirit Airlines
2800 Executive Way Miramar, Florida U.S.A.

Spirit Airlines Don't Fly Spirit Airlines if You're Going to See a Loved One Who Is In the Hospital Miramar Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: I Don't Understand

Spirit Airlines employees are inhumane to their customers.

I say this because at Laguardia Airport on a Monday afternoon when I asked if there was any way if I could be certain that I would be able to catch a connecting flight later that day or even an earlier flight to Detroit (because I had heard the flights were delayed out of LaGuardia)so I could get to Vegas that night because my father was in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery the woman behind the counter said that I would have to come back tomorrow and catch a flight tomorrow at 9 AM even though I had paid for my ticket a week in advance via credit card

Finally she admitted that the flight I had booked was still leaving that night though I would still miss my connecting flight in Detroit and she could get me a flight for the next day at 6AM. I had to practically beg her to let me stay on the flight that I had paid for. I told her when I got to Detroit I would see if I could catch a flight to Las Vegas and she told me if I did that she would not let me take the original flight from LaGuardia that I had paid for.

I finally had to lie and tell her that when I got to Detroit I would not see if I could catch a flight that night.

I guess she had to put herself on a power trip but when a customer is going to take a flight to see a loved one who is very ill and they don't the fate of a loved one it is the wrong time to play games and not honor the ticket for which they paid for.

The flight from LaGuardia was 5 hours late and I didn't get to Detroit until after 1 AM. By then there were no flights going out until the 6AM flight. While I had to sleep for a few hours sitting up (the chairs were too dirty to lie down and sleep on, and Spirit did not offer any blankets or food to people in my situation and the waiting room was freesing) I was lucky that the security guards did not wake me up and chase me from the area and make me go back through security as I was told they would.

The inconvenience was bad enough. However, what will stick with me for a long time is Spirit's inhumanity to it's customers. I therefore caution anybody if you are taking a flight to visit a loved one who is ill do NOT fly Spirit. The employees (at least at Laguardia Airport) will take delight in and pride in knowing that they don't have to honor the ticket you paid for and can switch your flight around to whatever makes them feel good

Wendy
Astoria, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2008 09:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-Airlines/Miramar-Florida-33025/Spirit-Airlines-Dont-Fly-Spirit-Airlines-if-Youre-Going-to-See-a-Loved-One-Who-Is-In-the-345546. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit Airlines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I Don't Understand

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Your flight from Laguardia was delayed so that you would miss the connection in Detroit. You left Detroit at 6 AM. Why didn't you leave LaGuardia at 6 AM the next day and avoid sleeping in the airport in Detroit? The fact that the agent couldn't get you an earlier flight was not worthy of a complaint. Perhaps the earlier flights were full. Did you suddenly discover that your father was in the hospital? If he was scheduled for surgery why weren't you in Las Vegas when he recieved it, not when he was recovering?

The whole story sounds wierd. Planes get delayed. Usually when someone is in the hospital you request an "bereavement or Illness/emergency" flight by phoning an airline and most airlines that I've dealt with give you a cheap fare and get you on the first flight that they can. They check with the hospital to make sure that the relative is there. You can't unfortunately make these arrangements at the airport with ticket in hand.