Complaint Review: Spirit Airlines

• Reported By: Norman S — Westfield Massachusetts
Spirit Airlines
Miramar, FL Miramar, Florida USA

Spirit Airlines Terrible Customer Service! Miramar Florida

I decided to book Spirit Airlines after reading so many negative reviews. I am a frequently flyer but the Non-stop round trip ticket price from BOS-MYR was unbelievably low.  I was first taken back by the baggage fees but then decided it was till worth the savings and decided to suck it up.  Then I couldn't belive that you actually had to pay to reserve an actual seat. Again, I sucked it up and waited to be assigned our seats.  I arrived at the airport 2 hours before my flight and all went well.  I started thinking "wow, this airline isnt that bad".  My family and I board the flight and we were pretty impressed with the interior look of the plane.  It was a newer aircraft and looked very clean.  I sit down and again I was taken back this time by the seat space and also the fact that the seats do not recline AT ALL.  We were cramped in like cattle.  Then minutes before take-off the real nightmare begins. The Captain announces over the intercom that there is a document issue and we would be delayed by 10 minutes.  Awe, not so bad!  20 minutes later the Captain is back on the intercom telling us that he has bad news for us and there was a problem with the personnel and the flight had to be canceled. They ordered us all of the plane and advised us to all go back to the ticket counter.  Since we were at the back of the plane the line was huge.  We were advised that we had two options: Get a full refund or book on another flight with them in the near future. Another flight in the future not this date but the earliest was three days away.  I called the customer service number and inquired if I could get a refund over the phone to prevent the lengthy wait in line with my two small crying children.  The customer service agent told me he couldn't issue a refund because the flight was in the air and was only 10 minutes delayed.  Are you kidding me there were 200 passengers in line there was no plane in the air.  So, after waiting 3 hours in line for my refund I was offered a $50 voucher to be used on Spirit within 60 days.  Are you kidding me I told them to keep their voucher because I would be filing a complaint. This cancelation has cost me 100's in prepaid ticketed events that I had pre-purchased for my family. I also had a prepaid Auto Rental that I have lost money on as well as one night hotel for not canceling within 72 hours. There was absolutely no compassion shown by any of the employees at the airport or on the phone. This was not a weather related or mechanical cancelation but a straight up error by your company. Here I am typing this E-Mail as my 2 small children are crying in the backround becuase Spirit Airlines ruined our vacation. How can you offer me a $50 voucher and have no compassion is beyond me! I will be looking forward to hearing from you regarding this serious problem.

Another thing.  I have noticed that when their flights have been delayed (or cancelled) the info through http://flightstatus.com and http://tripit.com does not update -- the cancelled flight was still showing On Time three hours later.  I guess they don't have much incentive to make timely updates of bad news.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2013 09:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-Airlines/Miramar-Florida/Spirit-Airlines-Terrible-Customer-Service-Miramar-Florida-1064126. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit Airlines