Complaint Review: Spirit Airlines

• Submitted: Mon, February 06, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, February 06, 2012

• Reported By: cj — Huntington Connecticut United States of America
Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines Deceptive booking fees, rude personnel, miserable experience, Greyhound with wings Internet

I had a last minute weekend trip to Chicago and was pleasantly surprised to find a last minute fare on Spirit out of LGA.   It wasn't until I got to check-in that I was told my small carry on did not meet the requirements and I had to pay $40 extra for my bag.  This of course is charged both ways ($80) which made my last minute cheap fare more expensive than if I just paid for a flight on my favorite Southwest.  On board I paid $10 for a drink and some pretzels.  No free cup of water and ice on this airline.  If this airline could get away with pay toilets I think they would do it....!

The seats are so squished together that it's a good thing they don't recline otherwise the passenger in front of me would have been right in my face.  If you don't pay the extra fee to choose your seat you get the middle so beware and pay the 10 bucks.

The middle seat passenger going out had a couple of drinks in flight (alcohol is cheaper if you buy more than one drink in a "package" deal) and after consuming both scotches he had his elbow in my ribs for the rest of the flight while he slept it off.  Alcohol is necessary on this airline you need spirits to make it bearable.

I changed my seat on the way back to LGA and got the last seat in the back of the plane which was also assigned to another person.  One of us would have been bumped on the last flight out that night if there had not been two unsold seats left.  The staff was rude and acted like it was my fault they made the error.  Most of the employees I dealt with did not speak or read English that well.

While I did encounter two pleasant employees most were rude and disinterested.

The flight attendants sat in the back of the plan and spent most of the trip discussing their dating situations in Las Vegas.  Everyone was quiet so the conversation was the in-flight entertainment for those in the back of the plan.  It was so annoying when you just want a quiet flight to read and  I questioned their expertise if there had been an emergency.  Not a comforting thought.

Avoid Spirit airline.   They will get you to your destination but it's a miserable experience.   What a sad commentary not only on the airline industry but American companies as well.   Low cost is possible with good service but this Greyhound with wings is a disgrace.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2012 07:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-Airlines/internet/Spirit-Airlines-Deceptive-booking-fees-rude-personnel-miserable-experience-Greyhound-w-834512. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit Airlines