Complaint Review: Spirit airlines

• Updated: Tue, July 03, 2012

• Reported By: Mom — Acton Massachusetts United States of America
Spirit airlines
Bos and Fll airports Internet United States of America

Spirit airlines Spirit vacation packages, car rental hertz, extra charges, also no car but no refund Internet

*Consumer Comment: Meanwhile

*Consumer Comment: While...

I flew spirit. There was a tower that burned down, so my 6:45 flight took off at 9:50. I understood that but we arrived at 1:30 am, I proceeded to the Hertz counter to pick up my car. They have a relationship with spirit. I booked flight and car with them. I get to tge counter and find tgat I must pay an extra 323.00 over what was stated online. 123.00 for tax and 200.00 to be held on my card for contingency. I said it was paid at the time I bought my ticket. My bf paid for my flight and car. I did not have his cc. Long story short, my sister arrived agreed to pay tge charge so I could get the car. They said I had to have the cc in my name. I was refused a car. Called spirit-- their policy is tgat you have to cancel 3 days before you fly. I didn't cancel I wanted the rental. They would not give me the car that was paid for. But spirit says they will not refund tge charge. I cannot get a refund or a credit. Or even an answer from spirit. How can they not honor their agreement, refuse me a car, and also keep the money???

At this point I am out 200.00

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2012 05:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spirit-airlines/internet/Spirit-airlines-Spirit-vacation-packages-car-rental-hertz-extra-charges-also-no-car-bu-906058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spirit airlines

Meanwhile

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

Bobby's back with more rebutts

While...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Spirit is not a great airline(I would never fly them).  They are actually not at fault in this case.

First it doesn't matter who you rent with, EVERY car rental place requires a deposit.  The $200 deposit is actually standard and on the low end of what may usually be held.  Some companies allow you to use a Debit Card, but most require an actual major Credit Card.  You are never charged for this when you rent a car because it is only a hold.

Next, NO car rental company will allow you to rent a car unless you have a Major Credit Card(or in some cases Debit Card) in your name.

If you have proof from the confirmation that ALL taxes and fees have been paid, you would have a valid complaint.  But if it doesn't say that, it is also not out of the question for this to happen because these fees and taxes can be so specific a general reservation may not know the exact fees.

It doesn't matter if you didn't know about this, if you failed to cancel within their guidelines you are not entitled to a refund..sorry.  Hopefully you can take this as a fairly expensive lesson for the next time you want to rent a car.