suffering

• Submitted: Tue, March 12, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, March 12, 2013

• Reported By: S — Buckingham Virginia United States of America
Spokeo

Spokeo is a People Search Engine which you pay for but their info is wrong. I am female, but listed by them as male. Never been male, Internet

*Author of original report: Spokeo Form Letter Reply

*UPDATE Employee: Spokeo Customer Support

This is an on-line service you pay for to get supposedly accurate information about people, from their public records and online sites they may be on, such as Facebook.  I was curious about this service, so before I paid them for information, I entered myself. They give you a little teaser page after you enter the name, so then you will pay them for more information.  My Facebook photo came up on this page, definitely female, but I was listed by them as male.

This was interesting, because the page that they accessed for my photo, Facebook, definitely lists me as female. I have never been male, I have no desire to be male, no public records list me as male, I have a distinct name and as far as I know, there are no public records in the States with my name and any person with that name listed as male.  I sent this information to the company and they sent me back a form letter, disclaiming accuracy of their results.  Do not pay for this service.  It seems information is fabricated.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2013 02:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spokeo/internet/Spokeo-is-a-People-Search-Engine-which-you-pay-for-but-their-info-is-wrong-I-am-female-1027329. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spokeo

Spokeo Form Letter Reply

AUTHOR: Swams - ()

Spokeo replied to my report with a form letter.  "Npt all information is accurate..."  I should say not!  Do not pay for this "service."

Spokeo Customer Support

AUTHOR: Spokeo - ()

Dear S,

We understand some of the information that comes up during a search is not accurate. Unfortunately, there is no way to edit the search results currently. Spokeo is a search engine specialized in aggregating people-related information from phone books, social networks, marketing lists, business sites, and other public sources. We are working hard to make search results that are updated and accurate. This can be difficult as we do not create or maintain any of the data, and do not act as a social network where people create their own profiles and later edit them. That said, some of these sources do take the time to update the information over time in accordance to their own policies so do check back over time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you do not feel comfortable publishing your listing, you can opt out of Spokeo. This can be done by clicking on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page. Once on this page, please click on our "Opt-Out Form" located at the bottom of the page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/optout

To Remove Phone/Name/Email/Username Listings:
1. Locate the listing you want removed by clicking on the exact profile based on the physical address
2. Copy the URL (please see under Troubleshooting, Incorrect URL for more on obtaining the correct URL)
3. Click on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page and click on the "Opt-Out Form" which will direct you here: http://www.spokeo.com/optout
4. Paste the URL
5. Provide your email address (this acts as a verification process for the confirmation to be sent to your Inbox)
6. Type in the Captcha Code (type the code exactly as you see it)
7. Check your Inbox for the confirmation email, and click on the link at the bottom to complete the removal process.

If you encounter any difficulties, we can also help you remove the listing(s) here via email if you provide the details of the listing(s). To ensure that we do so accurately, please kindly provide the URL of the listing(s) you wish to remove.

How To Obtain The URL:

The URL can be found in the address bar located at the top of your browser. For Name Listings, make sure you locate the profile by narrowing the city and state and clicking on the exact profile. The URL should look like one of these examples:

Name Listing: http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=John+Doe#California:1234567890