Complaint Review: Spony's Sales & Service

• Submitted: Sat, December 15, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, December 17, 2012

• Reported By: Denis — Alamo Nevada U.S.A.
Spony's Sales & Service
1115 Washington St. Jamestown, New York United States of America

Spony's Sales & Service Lonnie Spontaneo, Owner Overcharged me. Jamestown, New York

*Author of original report: To the person who nit picked my complaint

*Consumer Comment: So many questions

To whom it may concern.

This letter is for information purposes.

I am 78 years old and was traveling to my 60th class reunion in Elmira, N.Y. on or about Thursday 27 September 2012. I noticed the fuel gauge on my van going down rapidly and began smelling fuel vapors. I was concerned a fire could result, so I looked for and found a rest area just west of Jamestown, N.Y. on I-86.

I was unable to locate the fuel leak, so I called my towing service and was first taken to a Ford Garage in Jamestown but, I was told they be couldn't get to me until Monday. That was unacceptable because my reunion was on Saturday. I therefore asked to be taken somewhere else.

I was taken to Spony's Sales & Service at 1115 Washington St. where the owner, Mr. Lonnie Spontaneo test drove my van and told me it was missing. I explained my situation and that I only had $40 in my pocket. After some concern about my being able to pay, Mr. Spontaneo replaced the spark plugs and plug wires.

Mr. Spontaneo told me the wires listed for $102 and the spark plugs were $6 each. Having done some mechanic work in my life, I knew those prices were way off but, being pressed for time and not having enough money. I was unable to do anything about those inflated prices then.

Therefore, when Mr. Spontaneo told me I owed him $220 and that it should have been over $300, I was in no position to dispute him under the circumstances. I gave him the $40 I had and promised to send him $90 in November and $90 in December, which I have done.

After leaving the garage, I discovered the fuel leak I originally went to the garage about had not been corrected. I wrote Mr. Spontaneo letters with each $90 installment and with the first $90 I expressed my knowledge he had over charged me because I sent him the internet links to the sites where I could have purchased the identical wires he installed and had them delivered to my home from N.Y. for $32. I could have purchased the exact spark plugs he installed for $1.50 each

I realize I was a stranger in a bind but, I believe I was not treated as Mr. Spontaneo would like to have been treated had our positions been reversed. I believe Mr. Spontaneo took advantage of an old man who happened to fall into his clutches.

I
hope this letter will help other people avoid being treated as I was
by Mr. Spontaneo. I realize there is probably little you can do for
me under the circumstances but, if this letter will be of help to
others in avoiding being over charged by Mr. Spontaneo, I will be
satisfied.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/15/2012 12:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sponys-Sales-Service/Jamestown-New-York-14701/Sponys-Sales-Service-Lonnie-Spontaneo-Owner-Overcharged-me-Jamestown-New-York-982542. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spony's Sales & Service

To the person who nit picked my complaint

AUTHOR: Denis - (U.S.A.)

Mr. Spontaneo used the word missing, not misfiring. Since I hadn't located the fuel leak, I thought the fuel vapors I smelled could have come from a cylinder that was not burning the fuel as. Mr. Spontaneo claimed. Unburned fuel vapors could have come through the exhaust and entered the vehicle. Since I expected to find a leak in a fuel line, I hadn't considered a bad spark plug wire. Had I thought that might be the problem, I would have gone to an auto parts store and purchased wires and in stalled them myself. When Mr. Spontaneo diagnosed the problem as plugs and wires, I didn't think it would be appropriate to leave and take care of the problem myself. As for returning home, my retirement was deposited in my bank on the first of October, 4 days after I was at the garage. Does anyone else have anything to nit pick about?

So many questions

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"test drove my van and told me it was missing"

Your van was missing? Is it possible he told you it was misfiring? As an experienced mechanic did you agree that replacing the spark plugs and wires would account for the fuel leak? As an experienced mechanic wouldn't you have expected a totally different symptom if a cylinder was misfiring?

"I could have purchased the identical wires he installed and had them delivered to my home from N.Y. for $32. I could have purchased the exact spark plugs he installed for $1.50 each"

Would you have been able to receive those parts instantly or in time to reach your class reunion? How were you able to drive home to Nevada from New York with no money for food or fuel?

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC