Complaint Review: Sport CIty Toyota Of Dallas

• Submitted: Sat, June 23, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, July 13, 2008

• Reported By:Dallas Texas
Sport CIty Toyota Of Dallas
12650 LBJ Frwy Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Sport CIty Toyota Of Dallas Repair scam, ripoff, deceptive pratices, bas faith, bilk, cheat Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: Why was this so hard, Lee?

*UPDATE Employee: Please and this goes for all automotive owners understand things break.

*Consumer Comment: The oil pan drain plug was stripped in our '89 F150. I 'found it' one Saturday

I took my Toyota Landcruiser in for simple oil change. The dealer stripped the threads on the drain plug upon re-tightening. They then installed a size larger plug to correct the problem. This did not work and the drain plug now leaks 6 - 7 oz of oil per day. It blows onto the tailpipe and I look like a crop duster from the smoke trail.

After 10 - 15 (documented) calls to get the matter resolved, they made an offer of $1,711 to replace the oil pan. After a series of e-mails and calls to the Service Manager, their best price was reduced to $1,200. What an insult to pay $1,200 to correct their error. The S M went on at length how it could not happen in his shop, but that the damage had to have occurred from previous oil changes in other Toyota shops. I had several unreturned calls to the dealership G M.

I can't say for certain this was a deceptive practice of stripping drain plugs out on purpose, in order to generate huge repair bills. However, it would be a tidy piece of service business to "cause" for Sport City.

I found a Lexus shop (Lexus Landcruiser has same engine) to make the repair for $475. I believe that speaks for itself as to the overcharge attempt by Toyota.

I looked at using my attorney to sue, but the retainer costs would be > $475.

Lee
Dallas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2007 09:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sport-CIty-Toyota-Of-Dallas/Dallas-Texas-75228/Sport-CIty-Toyota-Of-Dallas-Repair-scam-ripoff-deceptive-pratices-bas-faith-bilk-chea-256461. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sport CIty Toyota Of Dallas

Why was this so hard, Lee?

AUTHOR: Friendly Help - (U.S.A.)

I had a shop strip the oil pan screw on our '89 F150. I went to an auto supply store & bought a $3 stripped oil pan screw kit: a magnetized self tapping screw plus a teflon seal washer. I went back home and I installed the kit in 10 minutes. Problem solved until I sold that truck 13 years later.

Some dealers are a PITA. So a Lexus dealer was nice. But $475?

Please and this goes for all automotive owners understand things break.

AUTHOR: Sky-tech - (U.S.A.)

first and for most i am not denying of agreeing with my employer or consumer. i am merely pointing out some facts that should be considered before blame is really passed.

I can see why you might be a little upset with this situation, but please understand that it very well could have been from previous oil changes. If the last person that changed your oil over tightens or cross threads your drain plug it is impossible for the next Technion to know or avoid the destruction of your oil pan threads. When this occurs (over tightening and cross threading the bolt itself destroys the threads going in where this may still seal the hole. when you remove the plug for the next oil change the threads can no longer grab ahold of the plug for they will be either stripped or flattened. Sadly this is not an uncommon problem and dealerships and independent. shops all over get blamed for this because the problem is discovered and the current shop. and there as no signs of damage when you first take it in.

Now you were not clear in saying weather you had your oil changed at sport city previously or not. I gathered from your report you did not, however i may be wrong. also You neglected to mention the year of your Landcuriser. You also have in the comments posted '89 F150' I'm assuming that was just a mistake but if the year is correct on your landcrusier, then you must agree that over time specially close to 20 years. Even if it isn't that old understand that the drain plug is a metal bolt that is heated and cooled stretched and stressed consistently over time this, ALSO can cause failure not to anyones fault but time. And this goes for a lot of things not JUST drain plugs.

The oil pan drain plug was stripped in our '89 F150. I 'found it' one Saturday

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

...whlie looking to see why I had oil spots on our parking area and a slightly lowered oil level. I think it had been stripped at the tranny repair shop. I don't know what the engine oil pan had to do with a tranny overhaul, but......

Anyway I bought an oversize self tapping magnetized plug with a teflon seal washer and this proved to be a non-leaking solution that lasted 9 years until we sold the vehicle. But you must be gentle and careful when you install the self-tapping screw or you will continue to have a leak. Maybe your friends at Sport CIty Toyota tried a self-tapping screw but they were not careful enough?

It takes some practical stupidity to strip an oil pan drain screw.