Complaint Review: Spott Pet Microchip company

• Updated: Thu, August 15, 2013

• Reported By: theresa — Olathe Colorado
Spott Pet Microchip company
Internet USA

Spott Pet Microchip company gives sense of false security, they could care less about you or your pet, waste of money, totally unhelpful internet

*Author of original report: What A Load of Bull

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Inaccurate report misleads individuals on microchips

so I got my dog implanted with a Spott microchip after reading their information which was full of promises of if your pet ever got lost, they would help you get him/her home again. Well, a week ago we had just moved into a new place, and my dog slipped her collar and disappeared! I had not Eben had a chance to get the phone/internet hooked up yet. I was frantic, looked everywhere, had my new neighbors whom I didn't even know looking, called the local animal shelter, etc. Contacted the microchip place and explained the situation, asked them for help since I didn't have the internet and would have to take a couple hours out from looking for her to go to the next town over and use a public library computer (if one was even available) to access my Spott account. He says "oh I'm sorry your dog is missing. You'll just have to access your registered açcount." And that was it! I tried contacting him again and he wouldn't even give me the time of day! This microchip service is s joke and a total waste of money. It gave me a false sense of security. It was absolutely useless, the one time I needed it, I got absolutely no help from them. I am truly disappointed and disgusted with this service. By the way, I did eventually find my dog- with no help from them though!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/15/2013 07:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spott-Pet-Microchip-company/internet/Spott-Pet-Microchip-company-gives-sense-of-false-security-they-could-care-less-about-you-1076019. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spott Pet Microchip company

What A Load of Bull

AUTHOR: theresa - ()

First, in my report, inever said Spott "gauranteed" to find your dog if it got lost. second, i never provided them with a "registered email address" - he just ASSUMED the email address i was emailing him from was the email address i had registered with them, and it was NOT. however, regarding the email address- that was not the issue AT ALL. the issue was the fact that i couldnt get into my account as i didnt have the web hooked up at my new house, and couldnt get into my account FROM MY SMARTPHONE. all i wanted from them was to put my new cell number in my dogs account info because the old one was inaccurate. i had JUST moved. if someone found my dog, all i wanted was for them to be able to call me if they scanned the chip. thats it. the person i talked to told me, well, id just have to get into my account. didnt really even give me a chance to EXPLAIN the whole situation. ok. so the person i talked to could have done that soooo easily but didnt even give me the time of day to be quite frank. ok so maybe they dont deal with customers very often.....however, they ought to at least have SOME customer service decency and at least TRY to help. even if its not standard procedure....the  situation warrented it. the person i talked  to could have CHOSEN to help me instead of just blowing me off. i have since changed the addy and phone # in my account and put the disappointing incident behind me. i do not care for a refund as the cost of it wasnt my issue......my issue was with their uncaring, unhelpful, uncompassionate attitude.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Inaccurate report misleads individuals on microchips

AUTHOR: Spott Support - ()

We are very sorry that the individual that posted this report had a bad experience with Spott.  However, to be fair, there are several inaccuracies that should be considered for users reviewing this report.  First and most importantly, Spott makes no guarantees about pet recovery as is stated in our FAQ: http://spottspot.com/user-faq.htm  In fact, no microchip registry does or can make such a guarantee.  To do so is wholly unrealistic and untrue.  Furthermore, it is unreasonable for any individual to assume such a guarantee exists when recovering a pet, just like when losing a pet, is completely the owner's responsible.  Microchips and tools like Spott simply make it easier and increase the probability of pet recovery.  Again, no microchip manufacturer or microchip registry guarantees pet recovery.

Second, Spott does not manufacture microchips, so it's not a 'Spott Microchip'.  Spott is a national registry that provides users tools to recover pets, similar to other pet registries, at a reasonable cost.  Spott also donates 50% of it's proceeds back to animal welfare.  Spott is web based and provides the user access to various tools that, like all tools, they are responsible for using correctly.

Regarding this user's specific incident, there are several issues that should be highlighted with respect to their compentency.  The user was originally registered along with their pet under user email address 'A' (a Yahoo account).  When their pet went missing, the user phone Spott and left a message.  Via email contact, the user provided email address 'B' (a Gmail account) as the registered address, at which point Spott Support instructed them on how to reset their password in order to use Spott's tools.  The response time was within 24 hours of the phone call.

Because the user provided a second unregistered email address, they proceeded to register and log in, only to discover that their pet, which is associated with email address 'A', was not associated with the newly registered account.  Shortly thereafter, the user then proceeded to re-register using the Facebook integration sign up using yet a third email address (a Hotmail account).  After some research, though after this report was filed, Spott support identified the issue and sent a summary email to the owner addressing the 'promises' made therein, indicating why the mis-use of email registration caused the problem, and offering a refund.

At Spott, we value user input and feedback, however this report misrepresents the funcationality of Spott (as well as any microchip registry) as well as the central issue that caused the user's poor experience.  While Spott provides online tools to assist in pet recovery, like all online tools, it cannot directly manage each user's personal email accounts and cannot authenticate users that provide the wrong credentials.  Just like losing and recovering a pet is the sole and exclusive responsibility of the pet owner or guardian, it is entirely the responsibility of the user to maintain and provide accurate credentials when attempting to login to any online service.