Complaint Review: Spotted Kingdoms

• Updated: Thu, February 21, 2013

• Reported By: Paula — lima Ohio United States of America
Spotted Kingdoms

Spotted Kingdoms Backyard Breeder Buyer Beware, Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: breeder kristen)

*Consumer Comment: Hmm

*Consumer Comment: Hmm

*Author of original report: Buyer Beware

*Consumer Comment: VERY Happy customer

*Author of original report: Backyard Breeder

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: NOT a bad breeder! Ask my other puppy owners and vet!

I purchased a dalmatian puppy from this breeder. The puppy had coccidia so bad I had it in the emergency room. That bill was $268.00. I then found out the puppy was deaf.  Kristen Call (the breeder) promised to refund part of my money in several e-mails. She just needed a few weeks before she sent it. The puppy is now 5 months old and no moneys were ever sent and she told me she will not refund any money. This is a backyard breeder out to make a quick buck. Beware if purchasing a puppy from this breeder.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2012 11:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spotted-Kingdoms/internet/Spotted-Kingdoms-Backyard-Breeder-Buyer-Beware-Internet-980020. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spotted Kingdoms

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

breeder kristen)

AUTHOR: Spotted Kingdoms - (United States of America)

Ok. Everyone who is reading this. I want you to note something here that proves this woman is a liar. This Natasha person who posted on reviewstalk IS PAULA!!!!!!!!! The only puppy owner I have named Natasha is perfectly happy with her puppy!!!! We are actually friends. Plus, the real Natasha and this fake have differently spelled names. It also seems highly fishy that their review was posted about the same time Paula started trashing my name online. Also, this other person uses the same words as Paula...such as backyard breeder....a term no one else has or even would use with my dogs and I. They are pets. Family. Reba and angel needing a different type of home was hard and sad, especially with all of the extra time and attention I devoted in order to correct their behavior issues. It's what was best though!!!!! Plus, if I had another puppy owner with issues, they would have contacted me.

What Paula isn't saying is that she did not find the amount of my partial refund acceptable....which, again I add, is something above and beyond my contract. I use the Dalmatian Club of America's contract so I believe that the written terms Paula and I agreed to are fair.

Paula. I am done trying to work with you outside of our contract. It enrages me that you are making false accusations about my dogs and I. This started out as you simply wanting ur money back. however, you did not like what I was willing to offer so, all of the sudden, I'm an unfeeling backyard breeder with dirty living conditions and dirty breeding practices? You have made me out to be this heartless person who doesn't love her dogs. I got into breeding, Paula, because of my lifelong passion and love for the Dalmatian breed. Since kindergarten. I would not STILL be arguing with you if I didn't care. But enough is enough. We will never agree on this.

So......I am sincerely glad that you care for sparky so much!!! I admire you for taking on the different challenges of raising a deaf puppy. Like you, i have always believed that deaf and other disabled dogs deserve the same opportunities as other pups. I think we can at least both agree that, given the chance, these puppies will excel. I hope she is doing good. I miss seeing pictures of her cute little freckled face. Despite our issues, I want you to know that I am still here to answer question and offer advice.

In the interest of future puppies and their owners, I would like everyone to know future situations like Paula's will never happen again. We now get all of our puppies' hearing BAER tested. Happily, the last litter we had was completely bilateral :) (full hearing in both ears)

Hmm

AUTHOR: Chrissy S - (United States of America)

Actually, no. In your other negative reviews on other sites you use the words "partially deaf,"so if your dog is fully deaf then you should not use the word partial.

My "rambling" was supporting evidence to the statements I was making. I don't make claims without actually knowing what I'm talking about...I know a lot about dogs, puppies, and have done a great deal of research on dals.

Oh wait, just kidding I'm actually the breeder using a false name and pretending I purchased a puppy from Spotted Kingdoms...although my name AND puppy are on the website. You're just stabbing in the dark.

You're entitled to your opinion and emotions regarding your experience, and I'm entitled to mine and with that being said I am VERY happy with Kristen and the wonderful little guy, Otto ("White"--his color from the litter), that she has given me. My investment in this conversation, as I stated before, is that when you discredit Kristen, you are also speaking poorly on my puppy, and thems is fighting words.

Hmm

AUTHOR: Chrissy S - (United States of America)

Buyer Beware

AUTHOR: Paula - (United States of America)

The more I read what written by "crsmith"  February 10th sounds like the breeder trying  redeem herself. Most of the information is incorrect. This is clearly someone twisting the truth to not make it sound not so bad. My dog was completely deaf and if anyone really read my complaint they would know that.  It rambles on like the breeders response. Look at the length of this thing!

VERY Happy customer

AUTHOR: Chrissy - (United States of America)

So, I highly disagree with this assessment of Spotted Kingdoms and Kristen's breeding practices, and, as a VERY satisfied customer, I believe I have a right to do so. When you insinuate that Kristen's breeding is sub-par, you insinuate that there is something wrong with her puppies, and therefore MY puppy, and that is not gonna fly.

I'm assuming you received a puppy from the 09/27/12 Daisy and Bullet litter, which is the same litter I purchased Otto ("White"), my gorgeous 4 1/2 m/o (NOT 5 month..to be clear) liver-spotted Dal boy, from. I could NOT be happier with the wonderful little guy Kristen has provided me with, he has such an amazing personality and I receive compliments on how beautiful, sweet, and well-behaved he is everywhere we go. He has the perfect temperament, and, while I may be a little biased, the perfect look. He is an absolute gem of a dog, he's just such a goofy, cuddly ball of love--and I know I can thank Kristen's early on care and attention.

I am a VERY picky dog owner and I waded through hundreds of puppies before I found the breeder that suited my exact needs with knowledge, past puppy proof, speed and thoroughness of response, and parents with the look I was searching for. I'm not gonna lie, I'm downright annoying when it comes to my dogs and I will flood a breeder with questions to be sure I'm getting the best possible puppy.

Throughout the whole process of purchasing, Kristen was always happy to speedily answer my questions and guide me into picking my perfect puppy. She was so helpful, constantly providing me with updates on the puppies' looks, temperaments, appointments, results, etc. When it came down to deciding on which puppy I would choose, she guided me to my little guy based on the personality and look I wanted. There is no way I could possibly be happier! He is absolutely perfect!!!

When it was getting close to the time to pick him up, I was told he had worms, which is completely normal for puppies, and had been started on his meds. I felt like I had been waiting so long for him to hurry up and get old enough to pick up, that I also decided to pick him up at 7 weeks. Kristen DID suggest that she hold onto the puppies until they had finished their dewormer, but I was far too eager to pick him up and have dealt with worms before, so she agreed to let me pick him up the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Of course, anyone who has ever picked up a new puppy has always had concerns, no matter how happy they are with the puppy or breeder. As I live in VA, I was unable to see my puppy in person until I drove to OH for pick up, and was definitely surprised at how small the puppies were--only a little over 4lbs--but that's normal for a large litter of puppies out of a smaller mother. Although I knew that, I was worried that he would always be behind in growth, but since that day he has gotten rid of his worms, and despite a mild, normal yeast infection in his ears, he has been 100% healthy and was 33lbs at his 4mo. check up.

The vet has predicted he will be in between 60 and 70lbs at maturation which is a perfectly normal Dalmatian. Exactly the size I was hoping for! I was also less than enthusiastic with the use of Purina, due to the lack of nutritional availability that it and all it's large, mainstream competitors/counterparts offer, but it's completely normal for breeders to use those brands as they are recommended by the breed clubs (including the AKC) and Vets. The clubs as well as vet schools are all sponsored/funded by these less than adequate pet food brands, and thus are recommended.

As far as the partial deafness, I could care less if that was the case with Otto. He is such a wonderful boy that I feel it would not hinder his worth at all, especially since it's so common in Dalmatians. In fact, most breeders state that they don't offer any sort of discount for partial deafness as the dog can hear just as well as a dog with normal hearing. The hearing in the good ear accounts for the deaf ear, and it is almost impossible to detect without a BAER test.

The jury is still out on whether those dogs should be used for breeding, to improve the hearing of the breed overall, but they are the exact same worthiness as pets as normal hearing dogs. So, the fact that Kristen would offer you a discount at all only speaks for her excellence and care as a breeder. Tests aren't fool-proof, and while she may have known about the partial deafness, you have to keep in mind that she also might not have.

Regarding "Yellow," the puppy that passed away, I have been following the puppies since they were 2 weeks old, and she was always the runt. Kristen would not sell her as she was worried about her size, and did not want to sell a puppy that might not survive. It's completely normal to lose puppies--that's the tragic risk you run as a breeder, and in most cases, has nothing to do with the breeder at all.

**Just a note, I stumbled across this negative feedback and responded based on my own desire. I was in no way, shape, or form, asked by Kristen to do so, but would have been more than happy to if I would have been asked.

Backyard Breeder

AUTHOR: Paula - (United States of America)

The breeder claims the dogs are part of her family, but keeps them in a pen out back. She got rid of the last 2 mothers because they weren't registered with the right club. Would you get rid of part of your family because they had deaf puppies or didn't make you enough money?  The breeder never advised me not to pick up the puppy at 7 weeks. In fact the reason I showed up at her house was because she told me I could pick her up that weekend. I was not rude and did notify her I was on my way. All I had to do was pull out 4 $100.00 bills and she brought her out. I was not allowed in the kennel because it was not clean. I gave the rest of the meds the breeder gave me to get rid of the coccidia, but the puppy was so infested it wasn't enough. I even told the breeder what meds they gave me to clear it up because she couldn't get rid of them in the other puppies. I am glad I picked up this pup when I did or I believe she would have died. One of her litter mates did. What the breeder has offered me is a new puppy. I had become very attached to this one and I have e-mails that the breeder agreed to give me a partial refund on this one due to her deafness. I agreed. I waited as she requested and I was told a few weeks ago she would not give me any refund on the puppy. If this breeder would have done what she promised in her e-mails and what is right and just I would have been satisfied.  I have proof everything I have said is true.

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

NOT a bad breeder! Ask my other puppy owners and vet!

AUTHOR: Spotted Kingdoms - (United States of America)

I am the breeder in question here. I have NEVER had a dissatisfied puppy owner before. In fact, I can provide many references of happy, satisfied puppy owners. I have attempted to work with Paula Hughes for months now. She neglected to mention several things. One, I advised against picking the puppy up at 7 weeks as she had not finished her meds for the worms. The puppy came with a health record from my vet as well as my vet's phone number if she or her vet should have any questions. Paula knowingly picked her puppy up before the puppy was rid of her worms (something I severely regret now). She very, very rudely pushed me to let this puppy go early on my anniversary on a holiday and even showed up at my door without receiving an ok to do so. Two, I offered, many times, to pay for the vet costs associated with the worms. Three, Paula is protected by our legally binding contract, but she refuses to work with me on the terms stated within our contract. I have been in contact with her the whole time, paid for the puppy's hearing test and have done my very best to make Paula Hughes happy. I have offered (among other things), from the start, to come get the puppy and give her a refund or a different puppy. I have went out of my way and offered to do things I am not even legally obligated to do, but nothing will make this woman happy. I am NOT a backyard breeder! My dogs are part of my family and I care about my puppies and their owners very much!!! Just ask my other puppy owners and my vet!

#8 REBUTTAL Owner of company

NOT a bad breeder! Ask my other puppy owners and vet!

AUTHOR: Spotted Kingdoms - (United States of America)

I am the breeder in question here. I have NEVER had a dissatisfied puppy

I HAVE OFFERED TO PAY FOR THE VET BILLS NUMEROUS TIMES!!! All I ask is that I receive copies of the bills!!!

I have attempted to work with Paula Hughes for months now.

I am NOT a backyard breeder. My dogs are part of my family. I breed for health, temperament and conformation.

She neglected to mention several things. One, I advised against picking the puppy up at 7 weeks as she had not finished her meds for the worms and coccidia. Paula knowingly picked her puppy up before the puppy was rid of her parasites (something I severely regret now). She very, very rudely pushed meto let this puppy go early on my anniversary on a holiday and even
showed up at my door without receiving an ok to do so. Two, I offered, many times, to pay for the vet costs associated with the worms. Three, Paula is protected by our legally binding contract, but she refuses to work with me on the terms stated within our contract. I have been in contact with her the whole time, paid for the puppy's hearing test and have done my very best to make Paula Hughes happy. I have offered (among other things), from the start, to come get the puppy and give her a refund or a different puppy. I have went out of my way and offered to do things I am not even legally obligated to do, but nothing will make
this woman happy.