Complaint Review: Sprint / Nextel

• Submitted: Fri, September 28, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, September 28, 2007

• Reported By:New York New York
Sprint / Nextel
PO Box 105243 Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Sprint / Nextel Bait and Switch Agreements Atlanta Georgia

Near the end of August 2007, Sprint Customer Retention called my cell phone around 5PM EST. Asked me about my service, wanted to find out how if I was a satisfied customer, I said I was very happy about its service, and if there is anything I needed to complain about. I told her my cell phone battery has been dying quite fast lately and I've had it fixed a few times using my insurance. And I told her my signal wasn't that great in a few areas.

She checked my files and said one of the reason she was calling was to help Nextel customers like myself who still use the Nextel phones, since the merger between Sprint and Nextel, they have begun to produce phones that are hybrids - with the capablity of switching between the Nextel and Sprint towers. The rep said she can offer me the Motorla Buzz for free - no charge, except that I'll have to pay for the shipping cost - I have 30 days to return it if I didn't like the phone. The phone I currently have is the Motorola i850.

I asked if there was any change in the contract - an extension or additional charges, the lady reassured my there wasn't my contract would expire in Aril 2008. I asked it several times, and got the same answer.

I said OK and got the phone. I was so happy to get a free phone - LAW OF ATTRACTION - using the SECRET. www.secret.tv.

I later got my bill Invoice 9/22/07 for $43.21, and wondered what happened to my bill of $135.00. I called up Sprint to find out, and was told my contract was extended to August 2009.

I was furious, and was told that since I received new equipment, which allowed for them to altered my contract by extending it to two years. I explained to the Customer Service Rep that it has got to be a error. I never made any authorization of accepting the cell phone to extend my contract.
They kept repeating the same phrase about the new equipment and its company policy.

They then transfered me to Account Retention to a Mr. Martin, he wasn't easy to talk with. He asked me that I could return the phone within its 30 days period, the new contract would be cancelled. I was about a week too late on returning it.

I explained ot him that I like the service from Nextel, and that I did not want to be locked in to a contract. Once my contract expired I was looking to stay on a month to month.

He finally said the best he can do was offer me a 15% discount on my bill each month for about a year. I tried to ask for 20% discount for up to 2 years. After some haggling, I accepted the discount. I knew that I was going to have a tought time fighting them or even requesting my contract back to its previous.

I am very disappointed at the way Sprint /Nextel new marketing practice. If I was told upfront at the time of the phone call I may have said OK. I am writing this because I do not think they should get away with it and screw the consumer.

Benson
New York, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2007 09:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sprint-Nextel/Atlanta-Georgia-30348-5243/Sprint-Nextel-Bait-and-Switch-Agreements-Atlanta-Georgia-276433. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sprint / Nextel