Complaint Review: Sprint - Nextel

• Submitted: Mon, August 04, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 04, 2008

• Reported By:Astoria New York
Sprint - Nextel
1930 220th Street Suite 101, Bothel, Washington U.S.A.

Sprint - Nextel Allowed someone to open a cell phone account using only the last 4 digits of my ss# Bothel Washington

I was notified by a collection agency that I owed Sprint almost 2,500.00 for a cell phone bill. When I called the collection agency they told me that the cell phone was opened in Nov of 2007. I asked why they were contacting me now. They said that Sprint did not have any info on me until they contacted this agency who tracked down my name and address.

I contacted Sprint and they sent me a letter asking for a police report, a notarized affidavit and a copy of my drivers license. I called them and told them that they were the ones who had compromised my information and I did not want to go through this or give them any more of my personal information.
The response was that they were the ones losing out 2,500.00 and I had better comply.

I would like to see if i can get a police report naming sprint as the party who committed this crime against me. I think it is up to them to straighten this out. I never authorized them to use my information and obviously they didn't check this person out very well.

I have since met other people who have had this happen and some say that if Sprint/Nextel can list all of these accounts as assets for their company they look like they are in good shape but in fact these accounts are all unpaid. They are indiscriminately taking as many accounts as they can.

I would love some advice on how to deal with this and will not give them more of my personal info

Astoria, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2008 02:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sprint-Nextel/Bothel-Washington-98021/Sprint-Nextel-Allowed-someone-to-open-a-cell-phone-account-using-only-the-last-4-digits-359078. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sprint - Nextel