Complaint Review: Sprint/Asurion

• Updated: Tue, December 18, 2012

• Reported By:murfreesboro Tennessee
Sprint/Asurion
www.phoneclaim.com Internet U.S.A.

Sprint/ Asurion After I found my lost cell phone, Asurion refused to refund the deductible AND requested I return the replacement Internet

*Consumer Comment: Not true

*Consumer Suggestion: I say keep the phone

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Wow lady

*General Comment: victim of a similar situation

*Author of original report: Did you read my report?

*UPDATE Employee: Shouldn't have asked you to return phone

Two days ago, I was getting ready to leave work, and realized that my cell phone was nowhere to be found. I checked with the security desk to make sure it hadn't been turned in. Unfortunately it hadn't.

The next day, I again checked with security, and tried to retrace my steps to try and find the phone. No luck.

I finally decided to go ahead and check out the Asurion (company that processes equipment replacements) website, since I had added the total protection insurance to my plan. I filled out the online form, and agreed to have the $50.00 deductible billed on my next monthly Sprint statement.

Within 10 minutes of submitting my claim, my phone was turned in. After reading the terms on Asurion's website, which stated that claims cannot be cancelled, I decided to call and check with them (hoping that there was some sort of 'exceotion').

I spoke with a customer care rep, and explained to her the situation. She asked to place me on hold while she checked with a 'supervisor'. After 2 minutes she returned and said, "I'm sorry, but I have been informed that you will still be charged the $50.00 deductible." I asked, "Can't I just refuse the package when it is delivered?" She replied, "Sure, but you will still pay the deductible. We also request, that if you find your phone, to return the replacement." ?!?!?!?!?!? I then asked, "So....you are going to keep my $50.00, but you still want me to return the replacement...Does that make sense to you?" She paused, then replied, "No." I said, "Well, if it's all the same to you, I think I'll keep the replacement, since you have decided to "keep" my money."

Amazing.

sylver8248
murfreesboro, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2008 10:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SprintAsurion/internet/Sprint-Asurion-After-I-found-my-lost-cell-phone-Asurion-refused-to-refund-the-deductible-390841. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sprint/Asurion

Not true

AUTHOR: WorkingOnFico - (United States of America)

I filed a claim with Asurion for my Droid RAZR Maxx.  Thought the charging port was broken.  Shortly after I realized it was the charger.  Contacted Verizon who got me through to an Asurion rep.  They were very helpful and said the replacement had already shipped and to just refuse the package and they processed a full refund to my credit card for the $99 deductible.  They were great.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

I say keep the phone

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

Keep the phone and then lose it again.  Then sell the next replacement on ebay and make some $$$ for your trouble.

Although it was very childish of you to lose the phone in the first place.  What are you retarded? You should go back to the third grade!-Steve

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Wow lady

AUTHOR: Summlife - (U.S.A.)

What don't you understand that you read deductable is non refundable.Do you think your special.If you dont return one of the phones you will be charged up to $500.00 you will not be refunded so go ahead and keep both phones.All of you people that have contracts and insurance need to read before you sign up.It is people like you lady that make americans look dumb to other countrys.No one feels sorry for you because you think you are special.Pay the deductable and shut up, you are a moron.I hated to talk to people like you.I always wanted to hang up on people like you.

#4 General Comment

victim of a similar situation

AUTHOR: lorrained - (United States of America)

I misplaced my phone at a walmart 2 days ago, immediately filed a claim, and had my phone overnighted and in hand yesterday.

so this morning an older woman calls to let me know she was too busy to leave my phone with the walmart cashier wednesday, but would like to give me my phone back(after i spent $90 to get a new one through asurion).

I began to wonder many things, and was going to try calling just like you did, but i now know that will make no difference and i will not be getting a refund.

With that knowledge, i am in complete agreement with you. I will not be returning my new phone if they are going to keep my $90 deductible. But I did want to ask, was your brother able to activate the new replacement phone just fine? and were you able to activate your old one that you found just fine? Because thats the route I am about to take with this interesting situation. Any input would be appreciated!

Did you read my report?

AUTHOR: Sylver8248 - (U.S.A.)

I am not complaining about the non refundable deductible (I read the terms on the website). I assumed as much when I called (that they would not refund), but it never hurts to ask.

I was nothing but polite to the woman who I spoke with from Asurion.

What got under my skin, was being asked to RETURN the product, while they kept my money. Not going to happen. I gave the phone to my brother, he wrote me a check for $50...everyone is happy.

AUTHOR: Lacey - (Canada)

While I do agree that they shouldnt have asked you to return the replacement phone you should be responsible for the $50 deductible. Its clearly stated that it is NON refundable.