Complaint Review: Spyware Doctor / PC Tools

• Submitted: Sun, March 28, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, March 28, 2010

• Reported By: madasheck — Guilford Connecticut United States of America
Spyware Doctor / PC Tools

Spyware Doctor / PC Tools Automatic renewal, almost impossible to cancel, Internet

After reading glowing reports about PC Tools' Spyware Doctor on PC World's website, I paid for a one-year (I thought) subscription for 29 dollars.  Finding that removing spyware with this program seriously messed up other needed applications, I uninstalled it and forgot it.  Good riddance, but not a great financial loss....

Almost one year later, I received an email notifying me that I had signed up for automatic renewal of my Spyware Doctor subscription via my credit card.  Whoops, that info was well hidden when I made the purchase, but shame on me for not being vigilant enough.

Now the fun began.  I followed the directions to cancel the automatic renewal from within my license profile and found the needed link to be broken.  After entering the website multiple times I finally managed to change to "manual renewal".  Then I noticed very small print saying that if I did not cancel more than 27 da. before the automatic renewal , I would have to cancel by email.  Another dozen links and I managed to send off an email.  (The notice of automatic renewal of course did not arrive until after the 27  da. limit. Hmmm..)

I will never deal with PC Tools again and hope the renewal goes through.  Very deceptive tactics.  Stay far away from this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/28/2010 04:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spyware-Doctor-PC-Tools/internet/Spyware-Doctor-PC-Tools-Automatic-renewal-almost-impossible-to-cancel-Internet-586403. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spyware Doctor / PC Tools