Complaint Review: Square Enix, Inc.

• Submitted: Wed, June 03, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, June 04, 2009

• Reported By:Van Nuys California
Square Enix, Inc.
999 N. Sepulveda Boulevard, 3rd Floor El Segundo, California U.S.A.

Square Enix, - Square Enix Holdings; Square Enix - Play Square - Enix Play fraudulently charged my credit card & refuses to refund. I state that I would have them investigated and was told I was "threatening." El Segundo California

*Consumer Comment: Children

This morning I checked my online activity with (((REDACTED))) There is a pending charge for $27.95 from Square - Enix Play. I had never heard of the company. I was told that once the charge clears I will then be able to make a complaint. I had my card blocked.

I (((REDACTED))) Square Enix and found an inordinate amount of similar complaints. I learned that Square Enix - Play operates Finaly Fantasy online gaming.

I called Square Enix. I made the initial mistake of telling the person who answered the phone the reason for my call. He put me on hold for over 30 to 60 minutes each time I called. Eventually I told him that I want to talk to HIM. I explained that my credit card had been fraudulently charged and that I'd like a refund.

He told me that he will transfer me to "billing" and they will be able to stop future charges but will not cancel or return the pending charge. He said that "anybody could have retrieved my number and made the charge therefore [they] are not responsible." I responded that if (((REDACTED))) can keep people safe through (((REDACTED))) it's Square-Enix's responsibility to take measures to protect consumers. He said, "No it is not. Call your bank." I told him that there are far too many complaints with this particular company so perhaps they should be investigated. He said, "Oh, so you're threatening us." I said, "It's not a threat." He then said, "It's against the law to threaten us." Unbelivable! He had a nasty attitude and turned it around on me when I 'm the one that was ripped off and all he can say is they won't take my money a second time.

I called back and tried to get the customer service billing department directly but he picked up every time so I knew that was useless.

If a company is legitimate in following good business practices I would think it would want to fix the problem.

Ls-sherman
Van Nuys, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2009 04:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Square-Enix-Inc/El-Segundo-California-90245/Square-Enix-Square-Enix-Holdings-Square-Enix-Play-Square-Enix-Play-fraudulently-c-458280. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Square Enix, Inc.

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Do you have any children that might have the game "Final Fantasy XI" for their playstation or PC? or do you know anyone that does? Or do any of your kids have friends that do?

I think the problem you are missing here is that if you don't know anyone who has this game, then someone has STOLEN your credit card number. if i were yuo I would cancel the card before more serious charges appear. Its unlikely a thief would steal your card just to play a game or nothing else.

Usually when I hear about cases like this, the person has a child or a friend who plays the game and uses a parent/friend's credit card to sign up for the billing. Make SURE you have check with everyone you know that might have this game. If no one does, then you need to take steps to protect your identity. Unfortunately, its not square-enix's job to protect the cardholder anymore. That is up to the card holder. Its no different than purchasing anything online. No one has any special security.