Complaint Review: St. Josephs Hospital

• Updated: Thu, March 28, 2013

• Reported By: ESM — PHOENIX Arizona
St. Josephs Hospital
185 Berry Street, Suite 300 San Francisco, California United States of America

St. Josephs Hospital Dignity Health Ruthless Vultures - No Merc & No Dignity for Patients San Francisco, California

*Author of original report: ALL HAS BEEN RESOLVED

In 2012, my wife visited St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix after being diagnosed with a non-malignant tumor. During an MRA, we learned she had 2 brain aneurysms but the tumor or brain aneurysm were not life threatening.

Upon speaking to Dr. Spetzler (for the brain aneurysm), and Dr. White (for the tumor), my wife was basically coerced (with scare tactics) into getting 2 brain surgeries. Although the aneurysms were corrected and the tumor removed, the doctors failed to disclose the devastating and life limiting changes that would result from these surgeries. Her quality of life has deteriorated to the point now where she will lose her job and most likely end up on disability. She was a successful executive with a great career and excellent salary, who is now deteriorated down to nothing; all because 2 greedy doctors frightened her into 2 surgeries she really did not need. Now er deteriorating health resulting from the surgery has limited her ability to work and earn income. The obvious result of this is that our financial situation has been destroyed and left us within months of filing bankruptcy.

The worst part is this: after being paid over $190k from my wife's insurance, we received a $3500 bill from Dignity. I attempted to settle the balance by paying $1100 from a credit card I had; when I proposed this to Dignity, they wanted me to complete a financial state, run credit reports, wanted 2 years of tax returns, and wanted to call my wife's employer, which would be most humiliating and embarrassing after 24 years of service.

I have talked to numerous people at St. Joseph's and Dignity Health, all of whom refuse to help or work with us on a settlement.

I noticed that their name, Dignity Health, formerly Catholic Healthcare West, are listed as non-profits, which is impossible. They are making hundreds of millions in profit, so I do not know how they qualify for this designation.

After contacting Dignity's corporate office, I am told I have to deal with the billing department and there is nothing they can do to assist. I have left numerous messages for Mr. Lloyd Dean, all un-returned.

I have been in credit & collections for over 27 years, and learned early on you try to work with people and help them. Dignity Health & Mr. Dean puts on the front that they are non-profit, and they actually care, but this is far from the truth. I have never dealt with such manipulative doctors, and ruthless billing representatives. It is awful what they are doing to us, and I am sure to others, as well.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 05:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/St-Josephs-Hospital/San-Francisco-California-94107/St-Josephs-Hospital-Dignity-Health-Ruthless-Vultures-No-Merc-No-Dignity-for-Patients-1034903. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on St. Josephs Hospital

ALL HAS BEEN RESOLVED

AUTHOR: ESM - ()

All has been resolved satisfactorily for now.  Will update further if anything changes.

oclock