Complaint Review: St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store

• Submitted: Tue, January 06, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, July 16, 2011

• Reported By:Kalamazoo Michigan
St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store
1314 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids Michigan 49507 Kalamazoo, Michigan U.S.A.

St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store Purchase of a non-working refrigerator Kalamazoo Michigan

*General Comment: Thrift stores

*General Comment: My sympathies

*Consumer Suggestion: Buy From a Refrigerator Repair Place Next Time

*Consumer Suggestion: Buy From a Refrigerator Repair Place Next Time

Having just purchased a new home, we were on the lookout for a refrigerator. My wife was shopping at second hand stores and came across a very nice JenAir refrigerator at a local thrift store. She made the purchase and had the refrigerator delivered into the garage at our former residence until we finalized the purchase of our new home. She was informed that it had been plugged in and tested and worked just fine.

Upon moving to our new home we installed the refrigerator and hooked it to a water line as it came with water and ice in the door. Upon turning the water supply on we found that the control valve in the base had started leaking all over the kitchen floor. Close inspection found a very strong leak in the valve. Obviously not tested at the store. After severa days of being plugged in and running, much to our dismay the refrigerator would not cool down and the freezer would get only cold enough to keep food from spoiling.

I might add that we took great care in moving the refrigerator making sure it was moved in the upright position and firmly anchored to the trailer. Obviously we needed to purchase another refrigerator to replace the faulty one. My wife contacted St Vincent de Paul and requested "at least" an in store credit for the purchase amount. This request was flatly refused. So, I would like to warn second hand store shoppers. Beware of the phrase "Yes it works. We tested it thooughly" asthere is no accountability and/or responsibility on teh part of the merchant to be honest let alone back the merchandise.

Ric
Kalamazoo, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2009 08:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/St-Vincent-De-Paul-Thrift-Store/Kalamazoo-Michigan-49004/St-Vincent-De-Paul-Thrift-Store-Purchase-of-a-non-working-refrigerator-Kalamazoo-Michigan-408913. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store

#1 General Comment

Thrift stores

AUTHOR: Ron - (United States of America)

I know quite a few people who have had very good results with appliances from thrift stores. Most reconditioning them are highly skilled. Most are recovering alcohol and drug users or unemployed and homeless. These people tend to be highly motivated at trying to get their lives back and on track. And they are doing this at minimum wage. In the meatime standard appliace stores are out after all the profit they can make and usually the only repairma is the oner. He will simply take parts of one unit to make another work. The result is most appliances they sell will break dow within days of any waranty if they even make it that far.   I think this gentleman would do much better dealing with Salvation Army or even Goodwill. I have found St Vincent de Paul totally brainless and that begins with their National Director. He told me he had no respect for me for trying to give away a 2008, 25 foot travel trailer to someone homeless, especially a woman. I replied that if I worked for SVDP I would have to work for free as otherwise it would be like stealing from the poor. And I know he receives a high salary in his position. So, just who is it that should not be respected?    St Vincent de Paul is apparently loaded with graft and corruption. If you donate I suggest you donate to someone else. If you need clothes or something, shop at another thrift store. If you need a food basket, go somewhere else where they will still respect you. Cross St Vincent de Paul off your list but never quit giving to the other good charities and go to them if you need help.

Anyone care to tell me again that I am borderline illiterate, have mental issues, lying or not telling the whole story? You usually do just that. And doing so makes me laugh until my ribs hurt. Agree with me or not, I wish everyone the best. Live this life like your only life because it's the only one you can really be sure of. (wish I could credit the proper orator).

#2 General Comment

My sympathies

AUTHOR: Ron - (United States of America)

I feel for you. You should read my post on a donation problem.  I have found St Vincent de Paul is brain dead from its National Director on down. The bad news is you can complain all you want and they will simply ignore you. My best advice is tell everyone you meet about this and give them a negative image. I intend to do this and believe that on the national level, I can divert at least $2 million in donations away from St Vincent de Paul over to the Salvation Army. How is that for me getting even? And I may do better. Next time try Salvation. While they're not perfect either, they do listen.

As for the SCDP Director he said he did not respect me. I replied that if I worked for SVDP, I would have to work for free as working for pay would be like stealing from the poor. And that I was certain he received a high salary. Let the chips fall where they about respect and honor. I sleep very well at ight knowing I have done my best.

Of course SVDP is owned and operated by the Catholic Church. It seems that pedophilic priests are not the Catholics only problem.

You sir get my respect and sympathy over your bad experience. But don't get mad. Get even, as I intend to do. I have lost but two fights in my life, both against six. No later than the next day I would have rematches, 1,2 or 3 at a time util I won. So, I have really never bee defeated. Ad I am relentless. I don't care if it takes 20 years, I will always get even.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Buy From a Refrigerator Repair Place Next Time

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Most companies that repair refrigerators and major appliances have a selection of reconditioned and guaranteed refrigerators. Buying major appliances from a thrift store is not too smart. They don't have experts to test anything. They probably plugged in the refrigerator and heard it running so it now has been "tested". Besides that items sold are 'as is" without any refunds. Donate it back with a sign on it "needs repair" and take a tax credit for it or pay somebody to fix it.

#4 Consumer Suggestion