Complaint Review: Stamps.com

• Reported By: benrippedoff — Maryville Tennessee
Stamps.com
El Segundo, California USA

Stamps.com Insurance Fraud,rip-off El Segundo California

*Consumer Comment: The one at fault is not this company..

I have insured multiple packages through Amazon and Ebay via Stamps.com for several years and never had a claim.  I recently filed my first claim and it was denied.  The item was mailed to the address of the buyer as they provided at time of purchase.  A couple of days later the customer emails me to say they gave the wrong address and can I re-send to the new address.  I said I would and I contacted the local USPS office immediately to see if the package could be re-routed to the new address before being returned to me.  They indicated it was already on its way back to me and I wouuld have to wait for it to arrive.  It never came.  I filed a claim after waiting the 30 days required only to be told it was denied because:

THIS POLICY DOES NOT INSURE:

4.  Loss, damage or non-arrival of any package or its contents which (a) is addressed, wrapped or packed insufficiently, incorrectly or contrary to carrier's packaging requirements

Now i mailed it to the "right" address at the time of purchase and I had the "right" return address on the label.  I in good faith paid for insurance and mailed to the correct address as far as I knew.   If I had sent it to a different address than what the buyer told me to it would have not been covered.  It was NOT addressed insufficiently.  This is just a scam to deny coverage based on this wording that was intended for packages with incomplete addresses or shipped to addresses other than what the buyer intended.   The post office confirmed the package was being returned to me.  I plan to file with the BBB as well as spread the word on all facebook groups I belong to in affiliation with selling on Ebay or Amazon.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2014 07:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stampscom-/El-Segundo-California/Stampscom-Insurance-Fraudrip-off-El-Segundo-California-1123678. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stamps.com

The one at fault is not this company..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

The one at fault is the recipeient of the package who gave you the wrong address.

- Insurance doesn't cover "as far as I knew".  The moment the package was considered "return to sender" and on it's way back to you it is considered to be addressed incorrectly.  They don't care how it was incorrectly addressed or who did it..they just know that the package was refused/intercepted and set to "return to sender", thus was addressed incorrectly.

Now believe me I feel for you, and this is one of the hazards of selling to complete strangers on-line.  If the recipeient tries to file a claim with E-Bay/Amazon(or who ever) that they didn't get it.  If EBay/Amazon does a just a generic approval of their claim you are going to be out the money as well as the product.  So I would tell you that you need to save everything you have and I hope you have it in writing that a)The buyer gave you the initial address, b)The buyer said that they made a mistake and you need to send it somewhere else.   Then hope that someone in the dispute department takes your side.  Of course if they do deny the claim, if practical you can go after them in small claims court(the buyer not Stamps.com).

Then of course probably figure a way to adjust your shipping policy so that this doesn't happen again.