voters

• Updated: Fri, November 16, 2012

• Reported By: Craig — Broomfield Colorado United States of America
Stamps.com
1990 Grand Ave. El Segundo, California United States of America

Stamps.com Charged my card - I had no idea and they would not reimburse me El Segundo, California

*Author of original report: Re: Not Free

*UPDATE Employee: Stamps.com Response

*Consumer Comment: Not free

I signed up for Stamps.com because I needed an account to print basic shipping labels.  There was no mention of a 15.99/month service charge in any of the screens while I was doing this.  It was in the email they sent but the thing was huge with tons of text.  A month later, after I printed my label and moved on with my life, my bank account was charged 15.99.

I called to cancel which took another 15 minutes of holds and transfers (there is no way to cancel online).  They were very pleased with themselves to "waive the current 15.99 fee" but did nothing to reimburse the charge they made to my bank account.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/16/2012 08:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stampscom/El-Segundo-California-/Stampscom-Charged-my-card-I-had-no-idea-and-they-would-not-reimburse-me-El-Segundo-Ca-970077. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stamps.com

Re: Not Free

AUTHOR: Craig - (United States of America)

Because I used it to print a paid shipping label. Once. Didn't realize I was signing up for a monthly service.

Stamps.com Response

AUTHOR: StampsComCorp - (United States of America)

Hi Craig,

Stamps.com apologizes for any misunderstanding during your signup process.  We offer a four week no-risk trial during which you may try out our online postage service to determine whether or not the service fits your mailing and shipping needs.  However if you do not cancel the Stamps.com service and go past your four week trial period, you will be charged $15.99 for using the service during that first "trial" month.  After you pass the four week trial period and become a regular customer, you will be charged $15.99 each month moving forward.

You mentioned you did not see any language indicating the monthly subscription, however, during our registration process and before customer accounts are created, (on the page called Postage Account Credit Card Authentication) all prospective customers see the following text:

Why do you need my credit card information?
Your credit card is required by the USPS to set up your USPS postage account.  Your credit card will not be charged unless you buy additional postage or Stamps.com products, or if you continue past the NO-RISK 4-week trial period.

We provide and disclose terms that we do expect all potential customers to read, review, and agree to before they create their accounts.  Accounts cannot be created without customers indicating that they have read the terms by clicking on the I Agree box.

Again, we apologize for any misunderstanding and would be happy to further review your account. Could you e-mail us your full name and phone number to social@stamps.com?

Thanks!
Divya
Stamps.com

Not free

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

Why did you give them your bank info for a service you didn't expect to pay for?