Complaint Review: Stamps.com

• Submitted: Thu, July 14, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, July 14, 2011

• Reported By: Ilyssa — Staten Island New York U.S.A.
Stamps.com
12959 Coral Tree Place Los Angeles, California United States of America

Stamps.com "Free" account is a rip-off! Los Angeles, California

About a month or so ago, I signed up for what was supposedly a "free" account on Stamps.com. It wasn't a "trial," it wasn't anything. In fact, when I called up to cancel my account, the automated voice asked if I wanted to upgrade to a paid account...why would they ask me that if there wasn't a free account? Anyway, I noticed last night that there was a charge of $15.99 on my account from this company, and when I did my research, I saw that that was the monthly fee for the "Pro" account which I had never signed up for.

I immediately called my bank and put in a dispute for the charge (they couldn't cancel my card because I was aware of the company and so it doesn't count as fraud...ugh), and then I called Stamps.com to cancel my account. The guy who answered (I don't remember his name, honestly) was nice enough, I suppose, but he of course decided to try to get me to stay with Stamps.com and gave me the whole "it's easier than going to the post office" shpiel, to which I replied it really isn't that much of a bother to me at all and could he please cancel my account. Then he offered me a free month of service and I replied, "No, thank you, just cancel my account. That was a good try, though!" I guess running on very little sleep makes me more blunt. haha

He asked me for my phone number and the security detail so that he could get into my account, and then, as he "closed" the account, he informed me that there was a $4.64 closing fee. My exact thoughts were: oh for f**k's sake. I simply and firmly asked him what this fee was for, and after he responded, I said, "All right, well, I'll be disputing that charge with my bank, as well." I then asked him how I could be sure that they wouldn't charge my account again, and he said that the confirmation email and the confirmation number showing that they closed my account would be proof. All right, I figured, I'll bite. At least if they charge me again next month, I'll have proof that they are a fraudulent company and I can close my card.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2011 07:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stampscom/Los-Angeles-California-90066-7020/Stampscom-Free-account-is-a-rip-off-Los-Angeles-California-752769. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stamps.com