Complaint Review: Stamps.com

• Updated: Mon, April 11, 2011

• Reported By: Tyrion Frost — USA
Stamps.com
12959 Coral Tree Place Internet United States of America

Stamps.com Couldn't get a hold of anyone via phone or email to cancel trial. Finally reached them, will not issue refund. Internet

*Consumer Comment: Employee Above Not Being Completely Honest

*Consumer Comment: One additional bit of info here...

*UPDATE Employee: Seems kind of fishy to me

*Consumer Comment: Unbelievable... though I have no doubt this is true!

*Consumer Suggestion: Additional phone number for Stamps.com

*General Comment: Wow

After signing up for a free four week trial with stamps.com, I had come to the conclusion that the service was not for me. I had on the second day, emailed to request a cancellation, and had given them the needed information. I received an email the next evening stating that they could not cancel my membership over the email, but to call them. I replied back saying that was fine, and proceeded to call their provided toll free number.

This is the email they gave me:

"Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Stamps.com Customer Care.

We are sorry to hear that you are thinking about discontinuing your Stamps.com account.

Due to account security and privacy reasons, we are unable to close your account via e-mail. However, we would be happy to assist you via our phone channel. Please call us at our toll-free number 1-888-434-0055. Our operating hours are Monday through Friday, 6AM to 6PM Pacific Time.

We also look forward to hearing about your Stamps.com experience and what led you to your decision today. Hopefully, through this dialogue we can help resolve any pending issues and enhance your experience.

Ultimately, if you still wish to leave the Stamps.com community, we will be able to process your request when you place your call.

We appreciate the opportunity to offer you Stamps.com's complete mailing solution.

Stamps.com Customer Care"

----

Upon calling the toll free number listed on their website and in the previous email, I was greeted with a strange, loud muffled sound and a sudden disconnect. I of course, thought that was odd, and tried again. After numerous times I gave up, and thought I'd try again the next day. On the following morning I once again called the number, only to have the same issue. After even more attempts to get through, I suddenly had a streak of luck and the number began working. I was put on hold. After being on hold for 45 minutes, I was then suddenly disconnected. I tried several other times for the next three or so days, only to have a similar outcome. I never was able to reach anyone.

Needless to say, I was a bit annoyed..so I logged in to my email and asked that they please just cancel my account, that the number was not working, and that I couldn't get through. I never heard a response.

That leads me to now, about three days ago, when I login in to my credit card account and see a $17 charge by stamps.com. Upon seeing this, I was incredibly annoyed and decided to email them again.

This was my email:

Hello,

I contacted stamps.com a few weeks ago via email about cancelling my account, however, I never got a reply back. I've also tried calling the number to cancel, but have had no luck either. The first time I called all I got was a static sound. For whatever reason, this seems to happen a lot when I call the number. I was finally able to get through, but I was then put on hold and no one ever picked up. I've tried several other times with the same results (I normally get this really bad..muffled sound).

Today I was charged $17.95 after asking to cancel, so I am emailing once again. Could someone please cancel my account? I'm also requesting a refund -- as I can't seem to get a hold of anyone. I hope someone emails me back.

My name is [Edited]
My address is  [edited]

That should be enough to get a cancellation.

Thanks, [edited]

This was their response:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Stamps.com Customer Care.

We are sorry to hear that you wish to cancel your Stamps.com service. It is our policy that we must verify security information before closing the associated account.

We do, however, realize that calling in to cancel is not always convenient or possible. Therefore, we can accept the necessary information by e-mail.
If you would like for us to handle your request by e-mail, please provide us with the following information:
* The answer to your security question
* The last 4 digits of your Credit Card or Social Security Number
* Your mailing address

Providing this information allows us to expedite your request. Once we receive your reply message, we will process the cancellation of your account and a service cancellation confirmation e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address on file.

Once closed, your account will no longer be accessible. A final service fee for this current billing cycle will be applied upon closure. The service charge is a flat rate fee and is charged at the end of each monthly billing cycle, regardless of usage.

We appreciate your cooperation.

We appreciate the opportunity to offer you Stamps.com's complete mailing solution.

Stamps.com Customer Care"

----

Okay firstly, a final service fee? For something I couldn't cancel? I don't think so. Secondly, they never replied to my request of a refund. I replied back with..

"Hello..

Thanks for the response. I tried once again today to call the toll free number, but again received a loud, muffled sound.

I understand now what I need to send, however, because I have not used this service, I do believe that I should receive a refund. It was only charged a few days ago, and if you check your records you'll see that I haven't been using the service. I don't believe that it would be fair to refuse a refund to someone when no matter what they tried they could not cancel. As said, the number will not work for me, and when it finally does go through (which has only been a few times) no one answers.

With that said..I hope that you can issue me a refund along with a cancellation.

I'm also not sure what my security question is -- if it is "where were you born" that is "[edited]".
4 digits of my social security: [edited]
Mailing address: [edited]

Thank you.
Joseph Crollard."

----

Now comes the rest...they responded shortly after with:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Stamps.com Customer Care.

We understand your concern, and are happy to help. Unfortunately we were unable to locate the account with the information provided. If possible, please provide the contact name, phone number, and email address for this customer. Once we have that information, we will be able to process your request. Thank you for writing!

We appreciate your concern with the recent charge(s) associated with your Stamps.com account and would like to take a moment to explain our billing process/structure.

Stamps.com charges a flat monthly fee associated with all open accounts. These charges occur at the end of each billing cycle, based on the date the account was initially registered. These fees are charged to the credit card that we have on file and are considered valid fees regardless of account activity. You can access our billing policy by clicking on the link below, which will take you to our Terms & Conditions. Information contained on this page is also provided during the registration process.

We have reviewed your account history and will not be able to issue a refund for the fees in question since these charges are valid service fees that were charged to an open account.

Stamps.com Customer Care"

----

This is hilarious..they say they are unable to locate my account...yet then proceed to say that after reviewing my account history I am not eligible for a refund. How can they check my account history if they can't find my account? Needless to say I addressed that in my next and most recent email. Here is my reply:

"Hello,

Here is the following information..

Contact name: [edited]
Phone: [edited]
Username: [edited]

..as for the refund, you say that you cannot issue one..yet I have been unable to cancel. The first time I emailed, I was told to make a phone call. I did so several times and could NEVER get through. As stated in previous emails, I continually got a strange static sound when calling (and no it had nothing to do with my phone).  I was then disconnected. The other few times that I could actually access the number, I was either disconnected or left on hold for literally hours. I waited one time for an hour and a half only to be suddenly disconnected. I honestly can't help but wonder if I've been scammed...especially since I've sent emails to your support address 3 other times in the past, yet never received a response. I hoped that maybe my account was finally just cancelled, yet a few days ago I log on to my credit card account..and a charge is there. It really makes no sense.

So essentially..I could never get through to anyone, which was not my fault -- and I could never cancel..yet I am still being charged. And now you claim that you're unable to find my account? Really? If that's the case, how did you look at my history as you just stated?  I truly hope you reconsider. Honestly, I hate to be rude, but if I'm stuck with these charges which I did not want, with a service that I could not cancel due to your own phone issues (or methods), then I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau. Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but I find this kind of customer service (or lack of) absurd and unreasonable.

Thanks,
Joe."

----

So that's where I am. I am really fed up with this companies and companies like it, who have all these nasty tactics in place to make it near impossible to cancel, and then charge you. I'll post a response when and if I get one. I'm also canceling my credit card so they cannot give me a final service fee. That is NOT going to happen.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2010 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stampscom/internet/Stampscom-Couldnt-get-a-hold-of-anyone-via-phone-or-email-to-cancel-trial-Finally-reac-565955. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stamps.com

Employee Above Not Being Completely Honest

AUTHOR: Striker - (U.S.A.)

They will cancel you eventually.  After trying to keep you on as a customer for about 10 minutes throwing all different kinds of offers at you.  At the end, they still charge you for a full month even though it only renewed a week before.  So basically they charge you for 3 weeks of service you can't even use.  I know employees will try and come on here and dispute what I am saying.  They are only trying to protect their precious little commissions.  You are lucky someone hasn't recorded the conversation like that one man did with AOL when he was trying to cancel them.  Someone is going to do that one day and embarrass your company like AOL was.

One additional bit of info here...

AUTHOR: spc3rd - (USA)

I didn't notice anywhere in your original post whether or not you had "purchased any postage" (which shows up on a little "postage meter balance" in the lower left corner of your Stamps.com homepage screen).  Postage purchase is separate from the monthly subscription fee a person pays just to use their service.

If you did...and there was still postage available at the time you closed your account (or tried to close it)...Stamps.com is supposed to arrange for you to receive a refund check for it.  (This postage meter refund does not actually come from Stamps.com, but the U.S. Postal Service...according to info I was given by a Stamps.com rep, and they indicated it would take like 8 weeks to receive it).

I hope you are (or have been) successful in your endeavors!

Seems kind of fishy to me

AUTHOR: Mr.Interweb - (United States of America)

"Upon calling the toll free number listed on their website and in the previous email, I was greeted with a strange, loud muffled sound and a sudden disconnect. I of course, thought that was odd, and tried again. After numerous times I gave up, and thought I'd try again the next day. On the following morning I once again called the number, only to have the same issue. After even more attempts to get through, I suddenly had a streak of luck and the number began working. I was put on hold. After being on hold for 45 minutes, I was then suddenly disconnected. I tried several other times for the next three or so days, only to have a similar outcome."

I find this part of the story highly unlikely. If you are calling the correct number during the hours of operation you should have had no trouble at all getting through to a live person, the hold times can be a bit long (on Mondays especially, which is to be expected for a call center that is only open Mon-Fri) but you should absolutely have no trouble getting a Customer Service Rep who will assist you with closing out your account.

Unbelievable... though I have no doubt this is true!

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

I just ran into the same issue and have not taken the time to call, like one poor exhausted person tried to do in another post. Luckily I have no connect for my credit card account as they heap payment upon payment for something I never ordered in the first place. I agree with the last comment about how this type of problem is systemic and connected to almost every BIG business and bank that I encounter! It is like they are in business to offer us nothing, give us no customer respect (support), and want to defraud us of our money. My recent complaints are Orchard Bank, Quicken Loans, and FIA Credit Services, just to mention a few entities I have recently had to grapple with to keep above water. This is a treacherous time when people are loosing their jobs, loosing their houses, and in some cases loosing their lives when negative factors collide. There was a suicide in my neighborhood recently caused by a man loosing his job and being harassed to his death by credit card companies and banks. A bit dramatic, yet when someone is so plagued by entities trying to defraud the public this may be the logical conclusion for some poor souls? This is reality. I wonder when people will get fed up with the way the country posters this misguided notion that companies will do the right thing and see them for what they are pigs masquerading as businesses. They make a mess of our lives than give a canned rationale as to why we should accept their nasty practices, while all along have a thread into our bank accounts and force themselves into our lives. If this aint evil I do not know what is! Watch THE CORPORATION to get an overview, watch MAXED OUT to see how the banks defraud the public, and THE END OF POVERTY? To see how we got in this mess in the first place.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Additional phone number for Stamps.com

AUTHOR: spc3rd - (USA)

Here is an additional phone number I used to contact Stamps.com regarding cancelling an account (I'm assuming you may not have this one):  1-310-482-5800.

I had no problems reaching a customer support rep to cancel an account I previously had with them.  Hope this helps.

#6 General Comment

Wow

AUTHOR: brownsong - (USA)

Wow. I have read all of this and I am floored by the unprofessional way these people do business. I feel for you. Make sure to update. I am curious how it turns out.