Complaint Review: Stamps.com

• Submitted: Fri, March 22, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, March 26, 2013

• Reported By: BLee — Glendale California
Stamps.com

Stamps.com Created a login, out of nowhere they charge me $15 per month without consent Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Stamps.com Response

A little over a month ago I created a login for STAMPS.com. I provided them with a credit card number just in case if I have to buy postage sometime in the future. Little did I know, they automatically signed you up with Pro Plan. Yes, they signed me up without my consent.

Next month I had a charge on my credit card for $15.99 for service I never used. I never bought any postage from them. I tried to call customer service to get the charge removed. They'll not budge. They said "It's written" on the contract...I never agreed to any contract! On top of that, I have to pay a pro-rate $15.99 for the second month of service. I cancelled my login and I will try my best to get my 'hard-earned' money back.

This is a bad ripoff. I buy $.44 stamps twice a week and I have to pay $15.99 per month so I can freakin print at home? Not worth it! The worst part is they sign you up without your consent.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/22/2013 09:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stampscom/internet/Stampscom-Created-a-login-out-of-nowhere-they-charge-me-15-per-month-without-consent-I-1037027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stamps.com

Stamps.com Response

AUTHOR: StampsComCorp - ()

Hi BLee,

Stamps.com appreciates your feedback, and apologizes for any misunderstanding.  We offer a four week no-risk trial so that you may use our online postage service and determine if the service fits your mailing and shipping needs.  Please note that we do not offer a "free trial" -- our trial is labeled as "no risk trial."

If you do not like the Stamps.com service, you may cancel at any time during the four week trial period and you will not be charged any subscription fee for using the service.  However if you do not cancel the Stamps.com service and go past your four week trial period, you will be charged $15.99 for using the service during that first "trial" month.   After you pass the four week trial period and become a regular customer, you will be charged $15.99 each month moving forward.  You may cancel at any time -- there is no long term agreement.

During the registration process for Stamps.com and before a customer's account has been created, (on the page called Postage Account Credit Card Authentication) all prospective customers will see the following text:

Why do you need my credit card information?
Your credit card is required by the USPS to set up your USPS postage account.  Your credit card will not be charged unless you buy additional postage or Stamps.com products, or if you continue past the NO-RISK 4-week trial period.

We provide and disclose terms that we do expect all potential customers to read, review, and agree to before they create their accounts.  Accounts cannot be created without customers indicating that they have read the terms by clicking on the I Agree box.

We apologize for any misunderstanding and would be happy to further review your account. Could you e-mail us your full name and phone number to social@stamps.com?

Thanks!