Complaint Review: Standford Who's who

• Updated: Tue, March 12, 2013

• Reported By: catlop — Franklin Internet Australia
Standford Who's who
410 Park Avenue, 15th Floor, Internet United States of America

Standford Who's who Complete manufactured scam on a cold call from Stanford who's who, Internet

After making the mistake of filling out some basic information for a supposedly FREE professional listing online, I received a cold call from these scammers (more precisely Katrina Bryant), where they explained that to be listed I actually had to pay for membership. I succumbed to the idea because I was looking for a job, and thought it would be good to network.

After giving my credit card details for what I assumed would be a future payment, I asked Katrina- who called herself my account manager that would always be available for me- what happened if I wanted to cancel my subscription at any time in the future if I found it wasn't working out for me or any other circumstance. Her answer was a complete avoidance of my question, she said that it would work because even if I didn't have time to work on my personal site and reinforce my branding that's what they were there for, and they would make it work for me. Literally 10 minutes later my card was charged, I thought I would actually receive something in writing or at least a contract before that was the case, but it was immediate.

I didn't even have time to research this company because a personal situation arose 30min after I hung up, and I actually needed my money back and wanted out. Suddenly my personal account manager was no longer available. There was nobody to answer the phone and a message from someone completely different in an answering machine. After repeatedly trying to contact them via phone and email, eventually someone allegedly called Carla Gwatney got in touch with me the next day, and I explained my situation. I said I hadn't used any of their services and that I needed my money back, given that less than 24h had passed and I contacted them immediately. (I recently found out about the entitlement of a full refund within 3 days of receiving contractual information)

She singlehandedly refused and said that all sales were final and that I had been warned (which I hadn't). In the end they agreed to reimburse me $400 of the $678 that I had paid, and then offered to withdraw a future charge that was supposed to be done in 2 months time. This if I signed a 'Full and Final Resolution', which I did in order to get my money back. I now realise this resolution they have dishonestly obtained is yet another scam!

I never got that refund back so I repeatedly tried to contact them again and again, with no response to my emails or phone calls. I started to get a little suspicious, so I researched the company and a dozen sites explaining the scam where suddenly there. I was very silly to have done so that late, instead of when I first got the call.

I also haven't received any of the benefits they promised, of course: access to an exclusive online marketpace including only people who are top in their field. This is simply not true as anybody that pays can be there, and there is no such thing as a great network or any kind of exclusivity.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2013 07:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Standford-Whos-who/internet/Standford-Whos-who-Complete-manufactured-scam-on-a-cold-call-from-Stanford-whos-who-In-1027376. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Standford Who's who