Complaint Review: Staples

• Submitted: Wed, October 29, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, March 12, 2009

• Reported By:Fort Thomas Kentucky
Staples
www.staples.com Florence, Kentucky U.S.A.

Staples Employee abuse. Florence Kentucky

*Consumer Suggestion: SEE IF YOU CAN'T GET SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY

*Consumer Comment: Not a ripoff

Staples call center has a policy of only allowing 5 minutes a day for restroom breaks. They want you to use breaks and lunch for restroom use. I had a stomach issue do to surgery I had and I was exceeding the 5 minutes a day. Staples was giving me warnings and made me sign a paper stating that if I keep exceeding the 5 minutes a day that my employment with Staples would be terminated. I find this to be a horrible way to treat your employees. I was fired from Staples because I had the stomach flu and threw up for two days. Even when I brought a note from the doctor they still let me go. Staples doesn't care at all about its employees.

Jake
Fort Thomas, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2008 10:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Staples/Florence-Kentucky-41042/Staples-Employee-abuse-Florence-Kentucky-385955. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Staples

#1 Consumer Suggestion

SEE IF YOU CAN'T GET SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY

AUTHOR: Nanlisa - (U.S.A.)

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. You are not alone. I am also on Social Security disability for numberous physical and emotional problems.

I've been working for a marketing company for the last year as a part-time phone agent. I have to validate phone numbers for the clients by asking them if I've reached a business number. They require you to maintain a 95% accuracy rate on all calls, you have to stay alert and focused, and you cannot fall asleep on the job. They are very strict about this and they take disciplinary action against you, including getting rid of you.

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I had to stay in the hospital overnight for a sleep study. I am on Ambien and I also use a CPAP machine as well. There have been times that I've fallen asleep right there on the job. Constantly asking people if I reached a business is very monotonous, and it's not my fault. I've been called into the office numerous times about my inability to stay awake and alert, as well as maintain their required accuracy rate. Don't get me wrong now, there are days that I've given them accuracy rates of 100%, 97%, but anything below 95% is unacceptalble to them.

I not only had to sign a form, but they've given me verbal warnings, sent me home one day, and gave me a final warning just three weeks before Christmas. When I left work today, the supervisor once again said something to me about this, and that he was going to have to take action.

I have told them repeatedly that I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea. In fact, I gave them medical documentation as proof of it. Even when I got hired there, I listed my health problems and the medications that I take.

I'm getting sick and tired of fighting this battle, therefore, I've decided to look for another suitable part-time job. I just feel that they need to hire people who are more mentally alert and that's the bottom line.

I would seriously suggest that you apply for Social Security Disability and let them know about your situation. If they turn you down, you can fight it. You don't need to work for somebody who doesn't understand that you have a medical condition. And besides, their policy is just simply rediculous. You have no control over whether or not you have to go to the bathroom. It's better for you to get up periodically to go the bathroom if neccesary than have an accident right there at your cubicle. To work in that call center, they probably need to hire people that don't have any health issues.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Not a ripoff

AUTHOR: Vimot - (U.S.A.)

This is not a ripoff. However, having worked in a call center as a phone agent and supervisor (not Staples) I find this accusation not quite believable. Even if it is true, with a condition like yours you should've filed for FMLA. It would not pay for your absences but you could not be held liable for missing days. Besides, why would you want to work for a company that treats their employees like that. Be glad you're gone.