Complaint Review: Star Entertainment

• Submitted: Fri, March 30, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, April 18, 2014

• Reported By: anonymous — England United Kingdom
Star Entertainment
Antigionis 6- Pafos, Cyprus Pafos, Select State/Province United States of America

Star Entertainment Lefteris and Laura Choriambus Scam Agency not paying and bullying Entertainers Pafos, Other

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Heartless, liars,bullies, cheats, exploiters of staff cowboy company

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Don't waste your time & money on Star Entertainment Cyprus

*UPDATE Employee: One of the best company's I have worked for

*Consumer Suggestion: Help for victims of Star Entertainment

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Star Entertainment agency - Cyprus - liars and thieves - Lefteris Charalambous and Laura Grigorescu - Stolen salaries of Bulgarian Musicians for summer season 2012

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: The Most Horrendous Company Ever

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Star Entertainment

*UPDATE Employee: My findings about Star

*Author of original report: No fun not being payed infact very annoying

*UPDATE Employee: No Problems So Far

*Author of original report: Proffesional Scammers

*UPDATE Employee: Great Company Great Summer...Help Available.

*Author of original report: Star Entertainment Papos, Cyprus Scam report

*UPDATE Employee: Great Summer with Great Company.

*Author of original report: Star Entertainment, Cyprus

I worked for Star entertainment from the 6th of November until 20 December and received no pay. In the end after over six weeks and no pay I left and returned to England. I am owed over 1500 euros.

I was also told the accommodation would have all amenities but the shower did not work and there was no cloths washing machine. The first apartment I had was filthy with cockroaches.  I was also supposed to get at least 20 euros for petrol for travel to gigs but after 3 weeks they stopped giving this. My return travel was also supposed to be paid on completion of contract but as I had not been paid in over 6 weeks I left and had to pay my own return flight.

This apparently has happened to many other staff, it appears they are running a scam at the expense of English artists. The owners of Star Entertainment Lefteris and Laura Choriambus (formerly of agency: Laura & Lefteris Entertainment Ltd)apparently change the name of there agency regularly when things get sticky and carry on operating under a different name.

Apart from not getting payed 1500 euros owed I spent over 400 in travel and over 1000 in lost gigs earnings I could have made in England . Its no fun gigging 5 nights a week for 6 weeks and not getting paid as we all have bills to pay and need money to live. This is a cruel abuse of artists in a foreign country.

I would also add there are reports of female artists complaining of no pay and being hit by Lefteris and thrown immediately out of there accommodation. These are two very nasty evil professional conmen/scammers who claim on there website they look after there staff which is very far from the truth. Just ask around any bars in Paphos and Coral beach they are well known for there scam of not paying employees and spending there profits on properties while unpaid employees struggle to get back home to there country.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/30/2012 02:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Star-Entertainment/Pafos-Select-StateProvince-/Star-Entertainment-Lefteris-and-Laura-Choriambus-Scam-Agency-not-paying-and-bullying-Ente-861586. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Star Entertainment

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Heartless, liars,bullies, cheats, exploiters of staff cowboy company

AUTHOR: Musician - ()

Heartless, liars, bullies, cheats, exploiters of staff cowboy company. If you work for this company find another job as no matter how hard you work & how good you are, you will not be paid properly if at all & find yourself flat broke while they live a life of luxury on the exploitation of keeping hard earned staff wages for themselves. They make promises that they never keep or just lie.  Vunerable people fear complaining to them as they are bullied/intimidated or in some cases hit  & thrown out of there acomodation. They are unpleasant professional scammers/conmen to be avoided at all costs.

A great shame as most Greeks/Cypriots are lovely people

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Don't waste your time & money on Star Entertainment Cyprus

AUTHOR: Proffesional Musician - ()

Don't believe the fake reports of how good they are it's nonsense, lies.

I can assure you I worked hard and had respect for the venues and the other acts and management, I am no amateur & have played for years in pubs clubs & hotels all over the world. As regards the management I respected them but they showed no respect for me or other employees. This report written by a so called Tony is clearly a fake or at best a blackmailed/bullied written report. I and others know the complete scam this company is running. They annoy me that they are still getting away with it. I would add I have seen the managements attempts at doing appaulling live acts themselves and it is laughable. It's only the fact that holiday makers are so drunk they get away with it. Lost a fortune there in the many gigs I would have got at home or elsewhere, while they pocketed/robbed hard earned money I should have had. Personally I hope they rot in h*** as they are evil nasty people.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Proffesional Musician - ()

I have been a proffesional & popular artist for years, I work hard and put on a great show. Do not use Star Entertainment you will not be paid only bullied & abused. This company should be shut down & the management put in prison. How do these guys live with themselves I do not know. They are evil lying lowlife scum. The fake positive reports are written by sick members of management.

One of the best company's I have worked for

AUTHOR: Tony H - ()

Hi I'm Tony H I  came over to Cyprus to work for Laura and lefteris @star entertainment and from the first day I was treated like family I was there for 2 and a half moths I truly enjoyed working with them and I am returning for a further 7 months this year 2014 I was paid every Penny and I also had a family deaf lefteris fully helped me out with this and organised me an early flight with no cost to myself all the venues are amazing 5*hotels and  bars I have 17 days till I return and I cannot wait I have read the other posts and most of it is rubbish if u work hard and have respect for your venues and the other acts and management the u will receive there full support if your just looking to mess about then forget it after all it is a job not a holiday thanks Tony H p's hope to see lots of new act and looking forward to an amazing summer

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Help for victims of Star Entertainment

AUTHOR: Annon - ()

Hi there -

I have read the statements above and am utterly shocked!

I would like to offer the following information to everyone who has encoured problems with the agency - The Department of Labour of Cyprus can help you regain the monies owed to you & offer advice, help and support with any other issues you may wish to raise.

The Paphos office details are;

Paphos District Labour Office Street address: 1, Ayiou Spyridonos str, 8021 Paphos

Telephone: 00 357 26821658 (please note - this comes up as a Skype contact, however if you dial this number from a telephone it will still connect - also if you are not in Cyprus, Google 'cheap calls to Landline Cyprus' - this will take you to a page with a number to ensure your call costs around 2p/minute so as not to run up a huge bill!!)00 357 26821658

I sincerely hope this helps all of you.

This is a government-run office and have been told personally by them that it is NEVER too late to come forward!!

Good luck to each and every one of you - Karma and Justice have no expiery date!!

#6 REBUTTAL Individual responds

AUTHOR: Musicians and Artists - ()

Star Entertainment Agency - Cyprus
Lefteris Charalambous and  Laura Grigorescu are thiefts and lairs

Satr Entertainment  still owes money to me / artist agen/ and to the musicians worked six months through  their agency in “Blue Lagoon”Group hotels - Kos Island/Greece   for last Summer season as follow:
I . For the Musicians:

1. "Moonlight:  Duo

-  salary for both musicians for October 2012

-   Euro 1.600.00   / one thousand and six hundred euro /

2. "Natural" Duo

- salary for both musicians for septenber 2012

-   Euro 1.600.00   / one thousand and six hundred euro /

3. "Secrets" Trio -

for two of them they doesn't pay two salaries - for September and October 2012 - All for this two musicians -  Euro 3.000.00  / three thousand euro/ +

For one of the trio they owe only salary for October 2012 -  750.00 Euro.

To me / the rtists agent / they owe commission for October 2012 - for all 7 artists  - Euro 700.00 / seven hundred euro/.

All together they owe for all:

Euro 7.650.00 /seven thousand six hundred and fifty euro /.

All we are trying to collect our money, which are paid to their agency from the hotel group, we used to work, at the end of November   2012!!!
Still no transfers done from the Star Entertainment Agency – Lefteris Charalambous and Laura Grigorescu!!!

I can say that they are liars and thieves!

They always were promising, that will send the money and even several times lie everybody that they already make transfers.

Up to the moment no one euro of that money is paid to anyone!

Euro 7.650.00

/seven thousand six hundred and fifty euro /.

Therefore, I'm warning everybody looking for jobin the Entertainment and employment jobs in Cyprus that this agency is not correct !

Stay away of "Star Entertainment" Agency Cyprus ,
if you don't want to have troubles and problems.

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

The Most Horrendous Company Ever

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United Kingdom)

I worked for this company for six months over summer 2012. I have to say that it has to be the worst company i have ever worked for. All the negative comments above are absolutely true. And just to bring to your attention, the two positive comments are written by two of the managers! They lie and cheat you out of your salary, and you end up working for nothing. if you do challenge this then your life is made an absolute hell as you are bullied by the so called management team who have no concern for your welfare. i am owed 350 in back wages as i worked a month in hand, therefore when i returned to the UK i was not paid the last month that i worked. on top of that i had to find the fare for my flight home, this was part of my contract which they failed to honor. after making several phone calls to chase up my money bearing in mind this was at my expense calling Cyprus from the UK, trying to speak to Laura who dismissed my claims for payment stating that i had already been paid everything i'm owed. this was an absolute lie and i have never come across in my entire working life such a company who scam, cheat and lie in order to take advantage of British entertainers, exploiting them at every opportunity. DO NOT EVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY unless you want feel worthless exploited and demoralized. DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE.

Regards an ex employee.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Star Entertainment

AUTHOR: Sam - (United Kingdom)

I have just finished my second season with Star Entertainment, and I have to say there has been no problems. Sometimes my pay was delayed, but as already pointed out, this was due to the Hotels being late with payments.

As for accommodation, the rooms in which i have been placed have always been clean and of good condition, of course its not 5 star accommodation, but what do you expect for free!

The company helped me with any problem that arose, whether it being work or personal issues, and for that they have gained my respect.

I have recommended the company to both family and friends, which I certainly wouldn't do if I believed they bullied or mistreat their staff in any way.

I will be returning to the company again next summer for my 3rd season with them.

As said previously, if your coming to work your best and don't just abuse the opportunity to party all the time, then you will have no problems :)

My findings about Star

AUTHOR: Andy - (United Kingdom)

I have been a Star employee since May 2012 and im about to complete the season with them.

In my opinion there have been no problems with my pay and they have never let me down.

The only time there seemed to be pay problems are with staff that leave without notice or are so poor at their job the venue/hotel refuses to pay for their services. They seem to have been fair with all the animators and singers this season and even moving one problematic individual around the hotels when one said they didnt want them there anymore.

I have been asked back and if there are no problems in my final 2 weeks here then i see no reason why i wouldnt consider returning.

I would assume from my own findings that Lefteris is a very charming man and im sure he may have had his moments as we all have but he has always had time for me and i respect him for that.

I would think that some of the things said about Laura and Lefteris would have been possibly made up by others in the entertainment industry here in Paphos and as there are several entertainment agencies, Star seems the biggest by far.

I have got to play in some of the nicest 4 & 5 star hotels here and have enjoyed the season.

So if anyone wants to know about wether to work for Star or not i would say

"If you are good at your job and dont just want a drinking holiday with pay then go for it, If you are coming here to be lazy or get hammered everynight then just forget it!"

No fun not being payed infact very annoying

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United Kingdom)

I can assure you Steve it is no fun not being payed. Especially when you have turned down well paid work at home. Incidently, I actually arranged a deal where the return flight would be payed.

Bleieve me Steve I tried and tried and tried to get my wages in the end my phone calls where not answered the office was always closed and Star Entertainment took on an aggresive stance, it was quite blatant I was never going to get payed.

I would remind people these are very smooth talking proffesional scammers who gain your trust only to use you.I hide my identity because such is the mistrust of the agency that they may try and discredit me or use any other low life thing they can think of.

I would also point out I have nothing to gain by discrediting good agencies unfairly in Cyprus as I do not live or work there. I only don't want others to fall into the same trap and feel strongly justice should be served. It does seem strange the other agency Steve mentioned as being bad, when I checked it out it plays at many of the same venues as Star Entertainment so is a direct competitor and against there interests?

Anyway Iv'e said pretty much said all I can as this is starting to turn into a slagging match. I wanted everyone to know, It cost me a small fortune both in money and trust in human nature, which was a bad experience I now want to put behind me.

No Problems So Far

AUTHOR: Steve Welsh - (United Kingdom)

My name's Steve and I've been working for Star Entertainment in some capacity since 2009.

I first started working with Laura and Lefteris in the summer of 2009 when I used to travel once a week to Paphos from Agia Napa to do a couple of shows for them. I then decided to return to the UK to try and settle in 2010.

After being back in the UK for a year I decided that I wasn't enjoying myself and a life abroad was probably the thing for me so I got in touch with Lefteris and he offered me work straight away.

I arrived back in Paphos in early April 2011 and worked through til late November with a pre-agreed set wage. I will say that none of my flights were covered and they generally aren't for any of the acts or animators but this is clearly stated in the contract offered. (They do pay for some people's flights but this is only in special cases where some deal has been made with regards to wage, length of contract etc. and is totally at the company's discretion and also included in the contract.)

When I finished my work in late November I was given all monies owed and returned happy to the UK.

I am now back in Paphos and have been here since March 6th 2012 and this year I have been a lot more involved in the office with the running of the acts and animation. I will tell you that Star Entertainment is an Agency and as such, needs to get paid from the venues before they can make a payment to the staff. This sometimes means that wages are slightly delayed due to hotels etc. not paying on time. (e.g. cheques were not received on time from hotels this month which meant that some people were paid on the 19th instead of the usual 17th) Unfortunately, this is just something that tends to happen in Cyprus and is common with ALL the agencies here, not just Star Entertainment.

I'm not sure who Anonymous is and I don't quite understand the need to hide your identity if you have a valid complaint. My name is Steve Welsh and I am very well known in the Paphos region of Cyprus. If you would like to contact me directly then feel free to call me on +357 99028347. Also, with regards to "asking around" about Laura and Lefteris' "reputation". I will tell you now that Paphos isn't a very large resort and has a lot of competition when it comes to different agencies and so a lot of Rumours are spread to dent each others reputation.

I personally have heard lots of "rumours" about pretty much all the companies here and that's just life. The only one I can make a personal comment on is that my girlfriend worked as a dancer for SM&KC entertainment. She was basically harassed and not allowed to live her own life outside of working hours and so eventually handed in her notice. She worked her full notice period and fully trained her replacement to take over from her. To this day she has still not received 1 cent of her final wage.

I will be staying here through the winter with Star Entertainment and carrying on into next summer so if anyone is reading these reports and worrying about joining us then don't!! You will have a great summer with a great team. (We already have at least 8 people from our acts that have expressed an interest in coming back next year.)

I hope this has helped allay any fears you may have and once again, feel free to contact me directly if you have any more questions. :)

Steve Welsh

Proffesional Scammers

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United Kingdom)

I wish I could beleive your above statement.  Fantastic genuine and honest company, I think not.

The wages never appeared, apparently according to Laura problems with the bank but when checked no money had ever been put in, strangly when I then tried to contact her no answer?

Lefteris put one female employee in hospital for asking for her wages. She hadn't been payed for 3 months. He threw 2 girls out on the street for complaining about cockroaches in there accomodation.

And these are only what I was told by the persons concerned let alone those too frightned to tell.

He has been black listed by several websites due to other complaints about his treatment of staff. Numerous staff never got payed or/and there return flight payed, they ended up taking part time jobs to survive. All staff when I was there had a deep fear of Lefteris as a bully. They would not say a lot as fear also of being thrown out of there accomodation and any chance of being payed nilled or being beaten up by Lefteris.  Lefteris and Laura lie so much they can't remember half the time what there last lie was. And they work as a team of proffessional scammers who are only inerested is getting free labour and reaping all the profits at your expense. These are 2 dispicable people and would clearly not want others to suffer the same fate. I am not one to put people down for no reason. But I can only assume if what you say is true Lefteris has turned over a new leaf and realises he can't run a buisness like this. But I doubt it, possible this is another of there scams.

Personally I would avoid these 2 at all costs. Look elsewhere there are much better and more honest agencies in Cyprus, no one should be treated this badly and I would not like to see others suffer. Karma has a way of cathing up with the evil.

Great Company Great Summer...Help Available.

AUTHOR: The Legends Show - (United States of America)

Hi anonymous,

I would just like to set it straight that my comment about my summer 2012 with Star was not a hoax it was my own opinion based on the great summer i've had.

I am currently still in paphos enjoying a busy season and stand by all of my findings.

If you would like to discuss the problems you have had and maybe try and find a solution i know the owners would be only too happy to help.

On behalf of the office as i'm just one of the acts......If you can provide some contact details or your name as i'm sure you will be on file or contact the office as i'm sure you have the details, they will do all they can to help rectify any greivences you may have.

For anyone else reading this please also feel free to contact me or any of the acts currently here and speak to the people doing the job for the company...... it's great :)

Cheers Simon 'Legends Show'

Star Entertainment Papos, Cyprus Scam report

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United Kingdom)

The report Great Summer with Great Company I beleive is a hoax. Star Entertainment are a scam company

If you want to be bullied, not payed and stay in appauling conditions with no return flight payed, then be it at your peril. These are trully evil people who will stop at nothing to take advantage of you and rip you off. I repeat go around the bars and clubs in Coral Beach and Papos and ask the staff about Star Entertainment to find out the truth.

These are trully evil low lifes that should be avoided at all costs. I learnt the hard way.

Great Summer with Great Company.

AUTHOR: The Legends Show - (United States of America)

I have worked for Star Entertainment since the beginning of May2012.

I am also an English artist and have had an amazing season with this company and on this contract. I have had all my pay onetime and on one occasion 3 days early as a kind gesture from Lefteris the company owner as I lost my wallet and was without funds so he helped me as much as possible.

I have had all my contractual agreements met and more...... The accommodation is very clean and well maintained and on the one occasion I needed my bathroom facilities seeing to someone was round within the hour and it was sorted.

Whilst my car provided is not a fresh off the shop floor model it fits it's purpose and is again maintained ie tax,mot,insurance and 20euro petrol every week by the company.......not bad for free!! Most other companies leave you to provide your own transport when acting as a self employed artist!!

My return flight is included in my contract and has already been paid for and confirmed.

It has been an absolutely brilliant season with a fantastic genuine and honest company and I look forward to returning next season.

The Legends Show

Star Entertainment, Cyprus

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United Kingdom)

Star Entertainment, Pafos, Cyprus. These guys are sick. They have some massive chip on there shoulder and think they can treat you like a third class citezen because you are English or foreign to Cyprus. Why would anyone who is morral and sane get English and other country entertainers to travel vast distances then abuse them and act like they are some sort of supereia race compared to the English or other foreigners expecting them to jump imedietly when they say so but will keep you waiting when it suits them. Most Cyprians are great but Lefteris has got some sort of mentally disturbed problem. My advise is stay well away from Star Entertainment, Cyprus. He can be a violent bully who holds the agency together by scaring employee's. Look elsewhere, these guys ( Star Entertainment will Just abuse you) Don't let them take advantage of you they are sick in the head, evil people. You will work your socks off get no pay and they will keep the money.