Complaint Review: Starving Artists Group

• Submitted: Mon, January 16, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, September 17, 2012

• Reported By: SamJ — Sugar Land Texas U.S.A.
Starving Artists Group
21820 E. Wallis Dr. Poret, Texas United States of America

Starving Artists Group "Original" Commercially Mass Produced Paintings Poret, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Not Sure What Your Complaint Is

I recently attending a Starving Artists Group sale.  They advertised "Original Oil Paintings! Nothing Over $69!"  There were hundreds of paintings stacked against their cardboard shipping boxes, the tables and the chairs.  I found numerous virtually identical paintings.  Some of them had identical artist's signatures on them indicating one person  painted multiple copies of the same master.  Other copies of that same painting had different artist's signatures on them.

These were clearly mass produced.  I envision a factory with dozens of "artists" painting copy after copy of the same paintings and signing the names they are given.  I found several signed "Misc."  I imagine that meant the artist was supposed sign miscellaneous signatures on them, but he misinterpreted the work order.  Many of the paintings appeared to be signed with the same red marker, although they were different signatures. [continued below]....
.....

The vast majority of the paintings were of landscapes with trees or small town scenes.  If that was not what you wanted then the selection was very limited.  I also saw a few different flowers and a some dolphins.

The frames were glued together and made from cardboard with a thin paper veneer.  I was surprised at how light and flimsy they were.  They even looked cheap.  I don't know if they would pass muster in a dimly lit bedroom, but they certainly weren't worthy of being displayed in a living room or an office.  The frames were available in the same four sizes that the paintings were available in.

I felt like Starving Artists Group had deceived me.  I saw the TV commercial and thought there would be original paintings.  What I found were cheap commercially mass produced paintings and cardboard frames.  For $118 (large painting and frame) I can do better.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2012 08:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Starving-Artists-Group/Poret-Texas-77365/Starving-Artists-Group-Original-Commercially-Mass-Produced-Paintings-Poret-Texas-823691. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Starving Artists Group

Not Sure What Your Complaint Is

AUTHOR: James - (United States of America)

I just signed up for this web site and in cruising through it came across your submission.  I, too, have art from Starving Artists and find your complaints to be a bit disingenuous.

What they sell is exactly what they advertise - inexpensively priced, hand-painted oils.  No, they are not "one of a kind" (yes, clearly the artist or artists paint a number of the same image) nor from their TV ads did I expect them to be.  For that matter, I have prints of some fairly famous artists in my home and they aren't one of a kind, either.

As to the frames, no, they aren't what you might buy at a frame shop, but then again they are priced at less than a quarter of what you would pay at a frame shop.  That said, if you don't like the frames they offer and want to go high-end simply buy the painting and skip the frame.  But then again, why would you want to?  The frames they sell are to my eye more than acceptable and to get out the door with a hand-pianted oil, framed, for under $120 seems to me to be a pretty darn good deal.

No, these aren't art gallery renderings.  And having seen their ads for decades now I don't believe they have ever been suggested to be.  They are, however, very nice oils, hand-painted, and to my mind a very, very good value.

Now, as to whether the artists are actually starving, well, about that I have no opinion...