Complaint Review: State Farm Fire & Casualty Company

• Submitted: Fri, October 04, 2002
  • Updated: Sun, October 06, 2002

• Reported By:Chicago IL
State Farm Fire & Casualty Company
2702 Ireland Grove Road Bloomington, Illinois U.S.A.

State Farm Insurance Fire & Casualty Company Refuses to correct Inaccurate CLUE report Forcing me to retain my State Farm Insurance for 3 more years Bloomington Illinois

*0: A great article about CLUE reports

*Consumer Suggestion: How to contest the CLUE Report

The condominium where I live had a fire. The next day, I called the adjustor and explained that I had a residual smell of smoke and some lightly soiled carpet but I was not certain if there was any "real damage". He advised me that because he was in the building for other clients, he would come up and examine my unit; which he did that same day.

After two days with the windows open, the smoke smell disappeared and I used a bottle of carpet cleaner I already had to eliminate the carpet soiling. I then called the adjustor and told him there was no damage so he informed me he would close the claim.

Six months later I decided to shop around for a better price on my homeowner's policy and I went to Allstate for a quote. They informed me that because I had a claim on the CLUE report they would not even consider giving me a quote for three years - even though they could see that amount paid was $0. I later learned that the CLUE report was an industry standard that 90% of all insurance companies supply their claims history to. Anyone applying for homeowners or auto insurance would have their history checked before a new policy was written.

I asked State Farm remove the entry from the CLUE report because from my perspective, there was no claim because there was no damage. They refused saying that because the adjustor was in my home it constituted an official claim.

At no time did the State farm insurance adjustor ever inform me that his presence in my home would constitute filing an "official" insurance claim. If he had informed me of that fact, I would have waited a few days to see if there was any permanent smoke damage before asking him to visit.

State Farm's refusal to remove what I consider to be an error from my CLUE report is essentially forcing me to remain a State Farm customer for the next 2-3 years. Why is this any different than an error on my credit report, which any reputable company would fix without question?

Bottom line - NEVER call your insurance agent with a claim unless you are certain that you have significant damage that will exceed your deductible - and if you have a claim, don't expect to be able to easily get insurance with a new carrier for up to 5 years.

Peter
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/04/2002 11:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Farm-Fire-Casualty-Company/Bloomington-Illinois-61709/State-Farm-Insurance-Fire-Casualty-Company-Refuses-to-correct-Inaccurate-CLUE-report-For-31816. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Farm Fire & Casualty Company

#1 0

A great article about CLUE reports

AUTHOR: - ()

Here is a link to an excellent article that CNBC did on insurance companies and CLUE reports - the ironic part, it was sponsored by STATE FARM Bank.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Elvera - ()

What you need to do is get online and find the website for Choicepoint. That is the company that the insurance industry reports to about your claims. These reports are called CLUE reports.
My car Insurance co. made also false reports to them in order to drop me. I got it corrected though because an Agent with another company was kind enough to tell me how to do it.

When you find their website you can either fill out a request for a copy of your report right there or you can call their CS number.

When you get the report you contest the claim just like you would a Credit Report. They will then investigate it. I send them documentation that I had gathered from the Insurance co. to back up my dispute. I don't know if you can get documentation, but you could try. Ask for a letter stating the claim, date and amount paid out to you, which you know is zero! You will then have something on their company Letterhead. At any rate, even if they don't take it off, you have your side of the story just like with a Credit Report.

Did you know the Car Insurance cos even report any Roadside Assistance calls such as a Battery boost? And it counts against you!

Learned my lesson! They are not here to help you. They are here to make a profit and not pay out to you!

#3 Consumer Suggestion