Complaint Review: State Farm Homeowners Insurance

• Submitted: Mon, October 03, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, October 07, 2005

• Reported By:Crystal lake Illinois
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
state Farm Insurance.com Bloomington, Illinois U.S.A.

State Farm Homeowners Insurance delay of a month and a half to get compensation for accident Ripoff Bloomington Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: Jenny, I have always used my local agent to report claims

*Consumer Comment: Barking up the Wrong Tree

*Consumer Suggestion: Typical Insurance Agent

A drunk driver with no insurance totalled two cars in our driveway and garage and damaged the garage door, shelves in teh garage and the wall between the garage and the family room.

After 11/2 moths we are still waiting to have a new garage door installed. the cars weren't covered by them evn though one was in the garage and the other in the driveway. The agent Don Grenardy of Barrington said once he put us in contact with the adjustor he is out of the picture.

This from our agent of 26 years. We have never had a previous claim in these 26 years. He refuses to help us. The adjustor never calls back. The builder they recommended only can measure garage doors on Mondays.

Mu husband stayed home from work today--Monday due to the appt with the garage door installer. He was supposed to be there at 8:30.... no show today!

Not one thing has been fixed and our garage remains boarded up 1 1/2 moths later.

Marcia
Crystal lake, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2005 12:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Farm-Homeowners-Insurance/Bloomington-Illinois/State-Farm-Homeowners-Insurance-delay-of-a-month-and-a-half-to-get-compensation-for-accide-159278. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Farm Homeowners Insurance

AUTHOR: Bill - (U.S.A.)

As a State Farm agent, I am sorry that you are not receiving the service you expect from State Farm. What you describe is totally unlike the behavior of any agent I know, as one of our primary roles is to assist our customers when they need us, especially at claim time. I say that after only reading your version of this story, so please understand that I will keep my objectivity, and state the disclaimer that there is a truth, but it is probably somewhere between your version and the agent's version. Sorry, but I have too much experience at this. Now, let's see if we can fix your problem.

If the claim rep will not call you back, then get to his/her supervisor and let him/her know this. If you are not satisfied with any behavior, always ask for the "Team Leader's" name and ask to speak to that person. There could be many valid reasons for a delay, but you don't know what it is unless you ask, and you can't ask unless the claim rep calls you back. A claim rep that will not return phone calls is commiting the worst sin possible, so call the Team Leader, explain specifically what you have done (when you left messages), and you should get results.

When you call, if the line is answerred by a live person, give them your claim number, and ask to speak directly to a team leader. If you are sent directly to the claim reps voice mail, press "0" while the claim rep's message is heard, and this should direct your call to an assistant or another claim rep. Then ask to speak to the Team Leader.

As an agent, this is what I do if a claim rep is not responding, and it works. Team Leaders are usually very responsive to complaints.

Try this, and post your results. I will be glad to help or respond further if necessary.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

A couple of years ago, my garage started on fire. Once the fire department put it out, I immediately called the 800# AND my agent. The agent came out to take a look at the damage (both show cars that were kept in the garage were totalled), she took pictures, and then we dealt with the adjuster. We had no problem. Within about a month, our garage was re-built, and we had a check for the contents within a few weeks of sending in the inventory. On a side note, even though the garage was attached to the house, the cars were not covered under homeowners insurance. My show car was covered by the auto insurance (also held with State Farm). Unfortunately, my husband learned an expensive lesson. He figured that since he rarely drove his '72 corvette, why pay for insurance? Guess what - we had to take it as a loss.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

#7 Consumer Suggestion

#8 Consumer Suggestion

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Jenny, I have always used my local agent to report claims

AUTHOR: Annie - (U.S.A.)

Jenny,

I am a State Farm customer. I have never, never, never called an 800 number to report a claim. I have always called my local State Farm agent, who has then processed my claim and put me in touch with an adjuster.

I consider my local agent my front line contact. If I am unhappy, I expect them to run interference for me. I consider that their job.

When I wanted to dispute the settlement for a claim when a tree fell on my house, I called my local agent. My agent was the one that set up the mediation with the regional office. I never talked to anyone but my agent until it came time for mediation (which was resolved to my satisfaction).

If I didn't receive that type of service, I would begin shopping for another agent. I wouldn't necessary begin shopping for another insurance company, but I would shop for an agent that that would work for me as a better advocate.

When an insurance agent stops being an agent for me, that's when I'll turn to the Internet for my coverage. I am not interested in a middle man that collects commissions with no service in return.

Just my experience, for what it's worth,

Barking up the Wrong Tree

AUTHOR: Jenny - (U.S.A.)

Ok first off...I am an adjuster.

You do not report claims to your agent...you report claims to the claims 800 #. Agents DO NOT handle claims. They are not licensed in any way to handle claims. Just like I am not licensed in anyway to handle agency transactions.

Your agent is correct by telling you once he puts you in contact with your adjuster he is out of the picture. He's done what he can. You're barking up the wrong tree.

CALL THE PHONE # FOR CLAIMS. IF YOUR ADJUSTER DOES NOT ANSWER PRESS 0 ON THEIR VOICEMAIL & TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE. (or a manager)

You better believe if I TOOK OFF of work & the contractor was a no show I would be FUMING mad.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

Typical Insurance Agent

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

They collect your premiums for 26 years and when it's time to pay, they're nowhere to be found. I see this often at my store. When people lose or have stolen, their jewelry they call their agent and more times then not he can't be reached. I've seen and heard that adjustor line too. They use them/him to take the heat for the agent and the company. Just remember who it was you paid for the last 26 years. 2 things. When it's all over and done with change agents and ins. companies. Be very careful how you do this. Don't let your ins. lapse and have a new policy IN PLACE AND CONFIRMED BEFORE dropping the old. And 2, check with the local victim's right's group in your town or city. There might be something there. The scumbag that caused the damaged might get some sort of restitution tacked on to his sentence by the judge, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There maybe some sort of fund. Give it a try. Good luck.