Complaint Review: State Farm Insurance

• Submitted: Sat, January 05, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, November 09, 2008

• Reported By:York Alabama
State Farm Insurance
statefarm.com Livingston, Alabama U.S.A.

State Farm Insurance Told me I was purchasing full coverage for my vehicle. When needed a rental due to my car needed repair, I learned that rental was not covered. Livingston Alabama

*Consumer Suggestion: CHECK YOUR COVERAGE

*Consumer Comment: Not a Ripoff....

*UPDATE Employee: You should do a review of coverage's with your agent

*UPDATE Employee: Review your policies!

*Consumer Suggestion: No such thing as full coverage

*Consumer Comment: Full Coverage..

*Consumer Suggestion: Insurance versus Service Contract

*Consumer Suggestion: fULL coverage has nothing to do with Rental Car coverage

I purchased insurance on my vehicle in 1994. I ask for full coverage on the vehicle and also asked the clerk if full coverage covers everything and she said yes. Now that One of my vehicles need repair, I now find out that it does not cover car rental. When I asked about getting a rental the insurance adjustster tells me that rental isn't covered. This isn't what I was told when I first purchased the insurance. I am now told it is optional. What does full coverage or everything means?

Barbara
York, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2008 10:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Farm-Insurance/Livingston-Alabama/State-Farm-Insurance-Told-me-I-was-purchasing-full-coverage-for-my-vehicle-When-needed-a-297418. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Farm Insurance

#1 Consumer Suggestion

CHECK YOUR COVERAGE

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

What one agent's "full coverage" may not be what you think it is. Years ago, I had a state farm agent tell me he could beat my current rate. Yeah, he beat my current rate by 25% alright. The only problem was his policy ONLY had TWENTY FIVE percent of the coverage. At the time I had a $100,000 policy. With his policy, I was only gonna get $25,000 woth of coverage. My rate would go down 25%, my coverage would go down 75%. What a moron. Rental normally ISN'T covered during a repair. Towing of a broken down vehicle IS normally covered, at least on my policy. They'll also send out a tow truck to change the tire in the event of a flat tire, they'll also send one out if I were dumb enough to run out of gas AND I've locked my keys in my vehicles a time or two. All that for $5 per vehicle per 6 months. The mileage limit is like 150 miles. The limit on rental vehicle is $30 for 30 days but you can purchase more at an additional cost.

Not a Ripoff....

AUTHOR: Newfenoix - (U.S.A.)

I don't care what kind of coverage you have, the rental rider does not apply UNLESS you have been involved in an accident. Please face reality.

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

Ok, I work as a marketing rep and also in customer service. I get the butt end of both worlds. I try and educate the customers on all of the didfferent coverage options, and tell them why they need them, and all they want is the state minimum. OR they have never listened to anyone who has actually explained their coverages, so when they say I want "full coverage" they think that they are getting everything. TRUTH IS our office takes notes on all conversations with customers. 99% of the time, I offer rental and emergency roadside assitance, but the customer does not want to pay the premium. Full coverage means that you pay for every coverage there is, including rental, ers, underinsured, accidental death and many more. So next time you get insurance, or get a quote from someone, and they ask you to come into the office or they ask to come to you to explain what coverages you are going to have and not going to have, MAKE THE APPOINTMENT. We are providing a service to you, we are protecting your assets in the event of a loss. We cannot tell you what bodily injury limits you need, the only thing we can tell you is what is covered, what is not covered, and what your options are. It is your decision on if you can afford to pay $50,000 out of pocket in event of an accident if you only have $25,000 bodily injury limits per person and the bills are over $75,000.

Make sure you read your declarations page and see what coverages you have. There is a reason why your agent's office has a phone, it is there for you to call with questions!

Review your policies!

AUTHOR: Michelle - (U.S.A.)

What does full coverage really mean? Well, I work for an insurance company and I get that request ALL the time. There is no such thing as a policy that pays for everything, but I recommend that you talk to your agent to review your coverages every 3-5 years. It is your responsibility as well to look over your declaration pages every six months when they come, and also our responsiblity to review your policies with you to keep this from happening. Just because you have comp and collision doesn't mean you are going to be provided a rental car. You need to have a separate coverage for that. A lot of folks decline this coverage because you only REALLY need it if the accident is your fault. If it's not the other party's insurance will cover it.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

No such thing as full coverage

AUTHOR: Car253 - (U.S.A.)

I tell people there is no such thing as full coverage. You can pick and choose which coverages you want. You get a policy at least once a year. In all those years you should have checked your policy to see if rental car coverage was on it. Sorry that you didn't do that. It's always a good idea to check and see what your getting.

Full Coverage..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Insurance can be broken down to 4 basic components

Liability - Injury/damage to other parties(Most states require you to carry this)
Comprehensive - Theft or Loss of vehicle
Collision - Damage to your vehicle.
Optional Riders - Towing, Rental, Road Service

"Full" Coverage covers the main 3(Liability, Comprehensive, Collision). It does not cover any of the optional riders. When you finance a car the finance companies require "Full" coverage, as compared to just Liability.

However, this is Insurance and even if you did have Rental Coverage it would only be active if you got into an accident. It does not cover just if your car needed repairs.

Now, I hope you are not saying you had this same vehicle since 1994 and are still paying for full coverage. Since Comprehensive and Collision usually have a deductable, this deductable is probably close to or more than the car is worth. If this is the case you probably should get with your agent and find out why you still have full coverage and can not just carry liability.

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Insurance versus Service Contract

AUTHOR: Sandi - (U.S.A.)

Car insurance rental coverage is used for times when your car is not drivable due to a CAR ACCIDENT. If it is in the shop for mechanical repair, not related to an accident or collision, your car insurance will not cover it. Full coverage, as already explained, covers damage to your vehicle even in times when the damage isn't due to a collision. If it's stolen, full coverage would come into play. If you don't have full coverage and your car is stolen, you're out of luck.

If you want a rental car when your car is in for routine mechanical repairs, get a SERVICE CONTRACT that gets you a rental car. A service contract is insurance against mechanical breakdowns. However, if you bought your car in 1994, I would be willing to bet that you cannot purchase a service contract on it at this late date.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

fULL coverage has nothing to do with Rental Car coverage

AUTHOR: D - (U.S.A.)

Full Coverage has nothing to do with Rental Car Coverage. Full Coverage just means that there is insurance to pay for the damage to the vehicle itself and not just damage you may cause to others.

Rental Car coverage is not part of this "package" you must request it and pay for it.

Before you signed the application for insurance coverage, why didn't you read what you were agreeing to? You were not ripped off, you just did not take responsibility to read what you were signing.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC