Complaint Review: State Farm

• Submitted: Wed, February 08, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, February 09, 2006

• Reported By:Sun City California
State Farm
10801 6th Street, Suite 230 Ranchocucamonga, California U.S.A.

State Farm State Farm Insurance Auto Claims ripoff unfair total loss value Ranchocucamonga California

*Consumer Comment: I understand where you are coming from.

*Author of original report: State Farm Total Loss vs Cars.com

*Consumer Suggestion: maybe this will help

*Consumer Suggestion: Tom, here's how it works..

*Consumer Comment: What's the Bluebook value.

Another State Farm policy holder backed into our car in a parking lot as my wife was driving to a parking stall. My wife has back injures and the car passenger side has panel damage from front to back including hub caps.
The claims office requested that we take our car to a State Farm recommended body shop which quoted over $2,000.00 to repair the damage.

The car is considered totaled and we are offered $688.75 to settle or sell the car to State Farm for $1213.76.
The value of the car is the question?

After days of reveiwing the market we are unable to find a similar 1993 Toyota Corolla DX for under 2,800.00
In checking the VIN numbers of the 2 or 3 cars we found for sale, I found the cars had problems on the reports. Our car has a clean VIN report.

I asked the office to consider that with gas prices increasing that economy cars are valued at a premium if you can even find one. I also asked them to just repair the car back to the condition it was before the accident.
Any suggestions? We are open to a legal approach!

Tom
Sun City, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2006 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Farm/Ranchocucamonga-California-91730/State-Farm-State-Farm-Insurance-Auto-Claims-ripoff-unfair-total-loss-value-Ranchocucamonga-175266. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Farm

I understand where you are coming from.

AUTHOR: Leticia - (U.S.A.)

My mother and I went through a lot from State Farm and my mother finally went to her insurance (not auto) company whom I had Emergency Care from (again normally as long as it didn't happen in a car.) told them what State Farm was trying to do and they covered my hospital charges.

When I was 19, I was riding with my friend back to her house because we had somewhere to go in the morning. We were broadsided (my side) and I ended up with a concussion.

Well the State Farm agent started calling my dorm room all of the time, because she did not believe that I didn't have a driver's license at the time. (I still don't) then she starts telling me that my parents auto insurance had to pay. I told her that they drove a company car and it only covered whomever was in their vehicle at the time of the accident. She again didn't believe me. So I gave her my parent's phone number, and then called my mother to inform her about the call coming.

i wasn't there for any of the calls but as my mother told me it came down to this. They had found out that my older brother had auto insurance and that they would be putting in the claim to his insurance to pay my medical bills and then they would pay back his insurance. (My brother is 2 years older than me.)

WHAT????
Why should my brother have to pay (in higher rates than he already had) for a car accident that I was in.

Due to this it does seem that they are just out to screw people. (And as I mentioned before they never did pay for my hospital bills.)

Please review the "What is fraud?" section

State Farm boldly states that harmed person should put back to the same state before an accident... and getting more is cheating.

Question:

With a used car part shortage and lack of used 1993 Toyota for sale in current market will State Farm be able to recope the money paid to us if we accepted the $1,200+? If so, State Farm will have no expense. We can not buy a similar car for that amount.

Common Sense (cents):

The insurance company has a resposibility to act in "good faith" because of our contract with State Farm and State Farms contract to protect the offending party.

Therefore, are we required to hire an attorney to make up the difference under the property liability section required by the State of California. We are the harmed party an it seems a shame to have to settle a matter like this in court. It is a waste of time and money along with all the stress.

The Good News:

My wife is trying to recover from a back injury that happened in the accident. We appreciate State Farms support so far on this matter but only time will tell.

or

2)Park a similar one on our driveway with a free and clear VIN and Title in our name.

The solution above is consistant with State Farm's stated fraud position and acting in good faith on a binding contract with us (harmed party), the insured (responsible party of accident), and the State of California.

State Farm Total Loss vs Cars.com

The comments are helpful BUT here is the REAL problem

The link below is what is for sale within 500 miles of where I live. For 3 weeks, I have scan the adds daily and ordered numerous VIN reports on what is for sale.

Here are the 4 of 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA DX offered on today's kellybluebook site powered by cars.com.

0&numResultsPerPage=1500&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&so

rtorder=ascending&sortfield=MMT%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false

&criteria=K-%7CE-ANY%7CM-_47_%7CH-%7CD-_426_

%7CN-N%7CR-500%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ

-descending%7CY-_1993_%7CX-popular%7CZ-92586&

aff=carskbb

State Farms offer is low because the market prices are up due to the demand for high mileage economy cars. We get 38 miles to the gallon.

How do I fix $2,000+ in car damage for $600+ offered by State Farm. Does the TOTAL LOSS decision by State Farm exempt them from their own public policy which states that insurance is intended to restore some back to the condition prior to the accident. This is on the State Farm website under insurance fraud.

Simple solution:

We say fix it or put a similar car on our driveway.

We have spent to much time on this matter so far.

Is State Farm going to pay me to drive 500 miles one way to see a car that may be worse than the one I have? Then 500 miles back? There is a day lost!

Do a web search and see the problem on the topic...

It opened our eyes

#7 Consumer Suggestion

maybe this will help

AUTHOR: Donna - (U.S.A.)

please go on line to kellybluebook.com and start there . then got to a store get an auto trader, and any other auto book you can find . see if anyone is selling a 93 toyota same model or close . try and find 3 to compare . then tell your ins company that this is the amount it would take to replace car . and that will be the amount you will accept . please don,t expect 1000.000s of dollars the car is only worth what you can replace it for . hope this helps

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Tom, here's how it works..

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Every insurance company has a formula to determine "total loss value".

State Farm is one of the lowest. They use a formula of approx 50% of FMV.

READ YOUR CONTRACT in the fine print to see if they require arbitration on a dispute of claim.

If so, this is a losing deal.

If not, you are entitled to reasonable losses, even if you have to sue the party who hit you.

They always try to lowball you on the first offer. That is how they keep costs down and profits up.

AND, you DO NOT have to use the prefferred shop they sent you to. You ARE free to get it repaired at any shop you choose.

Go straight to the corporate office with certified letters and faxes on how you are being cheated. This will get you paid.

I did this with Allstate 6 years ago. Believe me, it works!

Good luck!

What's the Bluebook value.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

For a 13 year old economy car, 1200 seems generous.

What's the milage on it? Condition of the body? Any rust? Other body damage? Any add-ons? Any major repairs done to it lately? Where the car prices you looked at from dealers or private sellers?

Just curious.