Complaint Review: State Of Michigan

• Updated: Thu, December 03, 2009

• Reported By: Karena — Ohio United States of America
State Of Michigan

State Of Michigan charges for service of protection order Internet

I received a phone call that my ex-boyfriend threatened my life. It was a county agency that was required by law to notify me of the threat. Since he did not make the threat to me personally, they took him to a mental health facility and did not charge him with menancing. I did however go down to my local county family courthouse (in Ohio) and file for a civil protection order. I was granted a temporary restraining order. A few days later, I received an invoice from the Monroe County Sheriff for service of an out of state restraining order (he moved to Michigan). The total was $50. I phoned my local courthouse and told them about it and they have never heard of someone having to pay so they tell me to bring it to court. So, I take it to court and notice it says that affidavit of service is only sent once payment is received. So, now I have to also pay the $10 late fee. I did phone the sheriff's department and asked them if this wasn't further victimizing the victim but they informed me that it was state law and they always billed the person who requested it be served. I said I did not request it that the court did and she informed me that the courts never pay so they bill the respondent. I think this is totally unfair. They should bill the defendant if he indeed is found guilty and the restraining order is made permanent! Being on the border of Michigan/Ohio, I can't believe there isn't some sort of reciprocal agreement for foreign service of court orders! Total ripoff that the victim has to pay to protect themselves!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2009 09:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Of-Michigan/internet/State-Of-Michigan-charges-for-service-of-protection-order-Internet-532887. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Of Michigan