Complaint Review: State Of Ohio Department Of Taxation

• Submitted: Thu, November 13, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, November 13, 2003

• Reported By:Plano Texas
State Of Ohio Department Of Taxation
30 E. Broad Street, 22nd Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215 Columbus,, Ohio U.S.A.

State Of Ohio Department Of Taxation State of Ohio saying I owe taxes to them even though I moved from their 10 years before being notified ripoff Columbus, Ohio

Since Dec 2001 the state of Ohio has been telling me that I owe them taxes for a law that was passed after I had departed the state in May 1983.

I have written several letters to them and stating that I should not owe the taxes because I had moved more than 7 years previously and the law was passed after my departure. The response that I have gotten is that the law was passed during the tax year that I had lived in the state even if it was for only part of the year they still have the right to demand payment in full.

When I asked about a statute of limitations I was informed that "Ohio doesn't recognize any such thing and besides they had notified me by mail that I was responsible for the taxes. Even though the notification came more than 7 years after the fact if I don't pay they will put a lien on my house in Texas and ruin my credit." This statement is more severe than the IRS would make to you if you owed back taxes, and even the IRS doesn't expect you to maintain paperwork for more than 4 or 5 years.

What gives these people the right to harrass me for something that was passed after I left the state when they haven't even paid my tax return for the same year.

Michael
Plano, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2003 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/State-Of-Ohio-Department-Of-Taxation/Columbus-Ohio-43215/State-Of-Ohio-Department-Of-Taxation-State-of-Ohio-saying-I-owe-taxes-to-them-even-though-71806. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on State Of Ohio Department Of Taxation