Complaint Review: Steak and Shake

• Updated: Thu, August 11, 2011

• Reported By: Anonymous — South Haven Indiana United States of America
Steak and Shake
6231 US Highway 6 Portage, IN Portage, Indiana United States of America

Steak and Shake The MOST Disgusting job someone could ever have! Portage, Indiana

*Consumer Comment: This is the norm for most resturants.

*Consumer Comment: comment

*Consumer Comment: Steak n Shake = DIARRHEA

The job I work for is absolutely disgusting. I work in the back of Steak and Shake and I see a lot. I've seen utensils dropped and never washed, Employees reaching in to the food containers (Fries, pickle containers at the prep tables,) Food being prepared NUMEROUS times without gloves (they don't wash their hands after either,) Old food being recycled or just served cold. Most food their, especially condiments and add-ons like Mushrooms and Grilled Onions will sometimes be old and left out, only to be reheated and used. That alone is a sanitary problem that can be directly linked to any illness. I've witnessed it, I've asked about it, but nobody seemed to care. It's ridiculous how Ignorant my coworkers are. The prep tables are always dirty and I would have to clean them, along with Fountain, the whole Prep line, and side chores that I wasn't scheduled to do. I did other people's jobs while they sat outside in their cars and smoked.  Some of the employees (always the same ones) Smoke Marijuana on the premises. The managers don't care. They blatantly do NOT care! They're too friendly to the kids who work at Steak and Shake, they let them run all over their spineless selves. I never interacted with them because it's my JOB to be professional at my JOB. Everybody cusses and screams at the top of their lungs with customers around like they're in Junior High. The workers simply do not care about the consumers and how serious they should take their jobs. I look at them at all being kids, even the managers and the drop outs who never made it past high school who work at Steak and Shake.

It's simply disgusting. But the very few who I work with that respect protocol and I got along with were older. They had fun, but had experience and were nice about every aspect of the grimy job we all dealt with. We all knew the routine for cleanliness, yet we would be the only ones noticed when we did wrong. It's terrible.

The place is corrupt. It's dirty, disgusting and ran by children. I want every customer who goes to eat at Steak and Shake in Portage see who handles their food, what goes in their food (We get a complaints for our mixed ingredients. Pickles mixed with radishes, carrots with Mustard relish, etc) You will be surprised at what you find. You might not ever want to eat at Steak and Shake ever again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2011 03:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Steak-and-Shake/Portage-Indiana-/Steak-and-Shake-The-MOST-Disgusting-job-someone-could-ever-have-Portage-Indiana-763404. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Steak and Shake

This is the norm for most resturants.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

It is an endless problem.  Fast food and buffets being the worst.  Did you ever eat hot dogs at a 7-11 or another convenience store?  I managed one at one time and you don't want to know.  When we did get caught by the health inspector we would receive a small fine or warning.  Small price to pay instead of throwing out hotdogs because the temperature required to prevent bacteria tends to overcook them after a while.

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Back in my youth one of my first jobs was as a dishwasher for a very classy restaurant. We were instructed to wash off any veggies (carrot and celery sticks, cherry tomatoes) and send them back to the kitchen for re-use. The bread baskets were saved so that (a) bread that hadn't been bitten into was re-served, or (b) bread that HAD been bitten into could be put in the basket for the bread to harden so that they could make bread crumbs.

I told my mom and she called the health department. Shortly thereafter I was fired. But they were eventually put out of business for bad health practices.

Report them and let someone do a surprise inspection. You could also call the cops and have an undercover guy nearby when your co-workers go out to smoke a joint.

I wouldn't want any of these people serving me :-(

Steak n Shake = DIARRHEA

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

at least that's been my experience.