• Report: #1020934

• Reported By: Anonymous NY — New York New York United States of America
Steve J. Wantola
Weehawken, New Jersey United States of America

Steve J. Wantola Steve Wantola Boat Rental Scam Weehawken, New Jersey

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Challenge to Elisa Egli-Provide Proof!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: It's The Hud Mon!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Landlords / Property Owners Beware!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Landlords / Property Owners Beware!

Man by the name of Steve J. Wantola runs a "Botel", business. He advertises the rental of luxurious lifestyle living on his yachts and boats located at the Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club in Weehawken, NJ. He shows you a yacht called the Cavalier, offers to help you move in, and offers you a trial period of a week or two rent free in order to give you a chance to back out if you change your mind contingent upon you issuing him a check for the amount of one full months rent $825.

Seeming like a very genuine and honest individual he shakes your hand and gives you a written agreement for the terms you have discussed and a receipt for your payment. The day you show up to move in he explains that the boat agreed upon in your contract is needing some basic repairs which will be resolved in one day and in the meantime offers to have you stay on his more luxurious and more expensive boat for the night at no extra cost.

You are moved onto a boat which has been abandoned for several years, in serious disrepair, and absolutely filthy. With his apologies he explains it will only be for the night and offers to buy you groceries and dinner to compensate and leaves you. Leaning supplies so that you may make your one night stay more comfortable. He gives hou a tour of the kitchen, bathroom, toilette, shower, sleeping cabin, etc. He leaves you a list of instructions on how to perform basic operations on the boat such as electricity, water, etc. and kindly explains to call him if you have any trouble.

The list he leaves you upon leaving explains that the water system, toilettes, etc. are not in operation, you turn on the electricity which causes a massive circuit malfunction throughout the entire boat after only 30 seconds. You attempt to sleep in the cabin only to find that there is a significant water leak above the lower end of the mattress which is not visible, and turning on the heat causes a fire in the upper cabin requiring you to vacate the boat immediately.

Upon contacting him you receive a text stating he is unavailable after 9pm and before noon and only available after 5 on weekdays. After recovering your items from the vessel he completely vanishes for several days and suddenly contacts you to explain that be is terminating the Agreement due to harassment and damage to his property.

He then sends a text explaining he will meet you at the Port Authority Bus Station in Manhattan to refund your money at 5 pm and will wait only 15 min. Upon your arrival he hands you another contract or bill outlining the charges incurred during the period of time beginning when he took your check to the day he meets you for a refund. He also lists charges such as rent plus the storage of your personal items, electricity and water beginning the month prior, reimbursement for the grocery and cleaning items provided, and even charges you a significant fee for helping move your bags for your vehicle to the vessel, all totaling over $600 dollars.

Hands you a contract which is dated prior to your original signed contract, which voids the original agreement in its entirety, states that you agree not to file litigation of any kind towards him, his business, family, the yacht club, or any of his properties, assets and business's, and forgives him of all financial, and personal liability even in the case if death or physical harm which you are required to sign in order to receive any reimbursement. He refuses to give you the check for the remaining balance and becomes violent, threatening, and abusive. He begins making threats of violence and physical harm, and uses abusive and threatening language towards you if you do not sign the document.

You are pinned in a corner; sign and get something, or refuse and get nothing and take home to court, which he hands you a government statement that the Hudson River does not fall under United States law or jurisdiction and u are therefore unable to file a law suit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2013 09:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Steve-J-Wantola/Weehawken-New-Jersey-07086/Steve-J-Wantola-Steve-Wantola-Boat-Rental-Scam-Weehawken-New-Jersey-1020934. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Steve J. Wantola

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Challenge to Elisa Egli-Provide Proof!!!

AUTHOR: Steve - ()

OK Elisa, you chose to make this disagreement public and post a host of inaccuracies and false statements about me, so let's continue your game shall we?? I will not allow you to use the internet to degrade my reputation when it is in fact a very good one. If you can't substantiate your statements, you may very well find your self in a court of law - be forewarned. I will relentless persue you until you yourself are exposed for what you really are.

Why are you hiding behind "anonymous" posts on this and another similar site? I am planning to post my side on every site you post on and will give your name, last known address, e-mail and phone number.

Let's play OK?? I will repeat specific quotes from your posts then enter the actual facts as can be substantiated by both the Marina Dockmaster and the actual preson (embarassed now) who referred you to me.

Quote: "He advertises the rental of luxurious lifestyle living on his yachts...."
Fact: I have never in any shape or form ever advertised my boats for rent in any media either in print or on the internet. They are not "luxurious" and would never be represented that way. They are just ordinary "boats" -You have been discredited #1

Quote: "He shows you a yacht called the Cavilier...."
Fact: You called me (based upon the personal referral of the Administrative Assistant of the Yacht club who worked with you) on Friday, January 31st at 4:00 in the afternoon and told me (I quote) "I have no where to go, the deal on an apartment fell through and I am leaving for Utah tomorrow (Saturday, 2/1) morning, I would greatly appreciate it if I could rent a boat.."

Quote: "offers to help you move in..."
Fact: I normally leave for PA on Friday afternoons but I agreed to stay that night to accomodate your very last minute request. You show up at 7PM with a friend and a car loaded to overflowing with your suitcases and boxes of possessions. It took about an hour with me and your friend dragging your possessions from the car to the boat with you whining about a "bad back" and helping very little.

Quote: "....and offers you a trial period of a week or two rent free in order to give you a chance to back out if you change your mind contingent upon you issuing him a check for the amount of one full months rent $825"

Fact:  I granted you the courtesy of allowing you to store all your possessions on the boat I intended to rent you wthout starting your lease. Additionally, you were so unstable (for a 21 (+/-) year old) that I was afraid that you would get hurt and offered you a one-month "trial" rental (from 2/15 to 3/14) to see if you survived it as boat living isn't for everyone. The "free" period was the extreme courtesy I offered you to store you possessions on my heated and secured boat for the two weeks you were in Utah. I had every right to charge you rent from day one but I did not. Additionally, since this first month was a "trial (for us both!!) I did not take a single penny from you as a security deposit. This turned out to be a BIG mistake as readers willl see in future installments of this rebuttal...and there willl be many of them.

To be continued....

#2 Consumer Suggestion

It's The Hud Mon!

AUTHOR: HudMonProject - (United States of America)

My dear lady I believe that what you experienced was a paranormal disturbance caused by a large serpentine sea creature that lives in the murky depths of the Hudson River.  As a struggling musician myself I have dedicated my free time to the Hud Mon project.  I have taken on this scientific project in an effort to educate the marine industry, the residents along the NY Harbor and the few who have witnessed the elusive Hud Mon first hand.  Hud Mon sightings have been reported as far back as the early 60's.  This slitherby creature typically makes an appearance at dusk and is reported to resemble a large menacing sock puppet as it glides about with only its head above water.  Apparently high pitch radio frequencies disturb its natural habitat resulting in the Hud Mon becoming restless and creating disturbances within local marinas.  Unusual wave activity and strange happenings have been reported during and after a Hud Mon visit.  Most marina staff and boat owners agree that the high pitch of certain disco or "house" techno music seem to induce the malevolent Hud Mon behavior.  I will continue my research into the Hud Mon project until the full truth of the Hud Mons origins and genitilia are exposed to the public.  Donations can be sent to HudMonProject@hotmail.com  Your contributions are not tax deductible but that's okay.  Good luck to you.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Landlords / Property Owners Beware!

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

The "Anonymous" individual who filed this "complaint" is ELISA E****. I do not plan on submitting a line-by-line rebuttal to her statement. That's because Elisa is a severally emotionally-challenged individual who lies about (amongst many other things) her "roughing it" background (living in a tent in Alaska for 3 months ???). In the five and a half days she stayed on one of my boats she blew out my microwave, overloaded the electrical circuits and discharged a CO2 central fire system - all for absolutely no reason.

This was verified by the Marina management. Speaking about "Violent Behavior", in an attempt to refund part of her rent (which under the circumstances was very generous of me) she attempted to grab the refund check from me by charging me like a fullback in full view of Port Authority cameras. It took PA police, 2 National Guardsmen and a police dog to get her under control. In the words of the PA Sargent who attempted to negotiate with her he said "..That woman frightens me.."I can only tell you that I am very happy she is gone and any property owner that rents to her better be prepared for the ride of their lives.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Landlords / Property Owners Beware!

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

This was verified by the Marina management. Speaking about "Violent Behavior", iIn an attempt to refund part of her rent (which under the circumstances was very generous of me) she attempted to grab the refund check from me by charging me like a fullback in full view of Port Authority cameras. It took PA polioce, 2 National Guardsmen and a police dog to get her under control. In the words of the PA Sargent who attempted to negotiate with her he said "..That woman frightens me.."I can only tell you that I am very happy she is gone and any property owner that rents to her better be prepared for the ride of their lives.

softly