Complaint Review: Steve Janks - Janks Construction, Inc

• Submitted: Sat, March 15, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, November 23, 2009

• Reported By:Del Mar California
Steve Janks - Janks Construction, Inc
7848 Silverton Ave, Suite D San Diego, California U.S.A.

Steve Janks And Janks Construction, Left our home remodeling project with multiple code violations including safety hazards leading to litigation. Refused to pay amount awarded. San Diego California

*Author of original report: All Is Well With Janks

*Author of original report: American Arbitration Association Award Against Janks Construction

*Author of original report: Janks Construction Nightmare Continues

*Author of original report: Notice of Construction Related Judgment

We hired Janks Construction in December 2004 to remodel our home. Work began in early 2005 and was never completed. Disputes arose over the quality of the work, completion of certain items, and invoices sent to us which exceeded the contract amount.

After Janks Contruction walked off the job we were forced to get outside help. Experts that were brought in identified numerous code violations including safety hazards which included an illegal gas line, improper electrical wiring, upstairs windows too small for egress in the event of a fire, and stairway dimensions with one step riser being 15 inches. Addtionally, the entire flooring system was improperly installed causing it to slowly deteriorate and requiring complete replacement.

We also learned that the contract Janks Construction used for our job was illegal and that excessive deposits and payments were taken.

After two years of litigation we were awarded a substantial amount of money by the American Arbitration Association. As of March 15, 2008, Janks Construction has refused to pay.

Marc
Del Mar, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2008 07:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Steve-Janks-Janks-Construction-Inc/San-Diego-California-92126/Steve-Janks-And-Janks-Construction-Left-our-home-remodeling-project-with-multiple-code-vi-318118. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Steve Janks - Janks Construction, Inc

All Is Well With Janks

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Though Steve Janks and I have had our differences, I am happy to communicate that all issues have been satisfactorily resolved.   While our remodeling project did not work out as we had hoped, Janks Construction has undoubtedly done a lot of good work on many homes in the San Diego area.  He can provide a list of very positive references, which I would encourage any interested party to contact.

With reference to the suggestion I made about Janks over charging us the sales tax, and keeping the difference,  Mr. Janks provided me with the EDD documentation proving that all sales tax was paid contradicting other information at my disposal.

I apologize to Steve Janks for any harm this may have caused.  I accordingly correct these inaccurate comments.

Based on information recently made available, Mr. Janks did not over charge my wife or myself for any products purchased from Janks Construction.  I apologize for suggesting that Steve Janks conducted his business in a dishonest manner.  We did not understand his billing system, which led to confusion.

I am pleased that we can now put all this behind us and move on.

I wish Steve the best in all his future endeavors.

Regards

Mark Zeitlin

American Arbitration Association Award Against Janks Construction

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Janks has paid ! Our attorney received his check yesterday.

Janks Construction Nightmare Continues

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Steve Janks' attorney Steve Tee called early this week stating that his client intended to pay the AAA award he has owed us since February 25 and that he would make this payment by the end of the week. It is likely that the hearing coming up on April 14 in Superior Court to affirm the AAA award along with notification from the California State Contractors Board that Steve Janks' license will be automatically suspended if he does not pay the award by June 15 has something to do with his newfound desire to pay. Incredibly, Janks did not make the payment. Beware !

Notice of Construction Related Judgment

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

The Contractors State License Board will automatically suspend Janks license to do business unless he takes action to satisfy the judgment by June 15, 2008. Section 7071.17 also prohibits any person who is lised on this license from being associated with any other license while this license is suspended because the judgment remains unsatisfied.

Thinking about doing business with Janks ? You might want to think again.