Complaint Review: Stoneleigh Recovery Associates, LLC

• Updated: Thu, February 28, 2013

• Reported By: ChefJen — United States of America
Stoneleigh Recovery Associates, LLC
P.O. Box 1479 Lombard, Illinois United States of America

Stoneleigh Recovery Associates, LLC Illegally got my family's cell numbers...not cool Lombard, Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Not necessarily illegal

This company has had my account for awhile.  They have usually been nice about things but yesterday they crossed a line.  They called two of my family members.  I never gave them those cell phone numbers so I was creeped out.  In fact I'm the only person on the account.  It was my credit card that the collection account is for and I was the sole account holder.  I looked it up and when they do stuff like this its because they have run a search on you but you can tell them to stop and if they refuse they are in violation of the Fair Crediting Act.

When I got a hold of the company I asked why they called my relatives and they said something like it was because I didn't answer my phone or emails.  I had three wisdom teeth out two weeks ago and have been recovering from that so of course I didn't want to deal with creditors or anyone else for that matter in the last two weeks.  I told them to remove those numbers from their records and they said "those are wrong numbers for you?".  Um, yeah those are wrong numbers because they have nothing to do with my collection problems and should not be called.  So very not cool!  Has anyone else experienced this same kind of problem from this company?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2013 09:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stoneleigh-Recovery-Associates-LLC/Lombard-Illinois-60148/Stoneleigh-Recovery-Associates-LLC-Illegally-got-my-familys-cell-numbersnot-cool-Lom-1021490. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stoneleigh Recovery Associates, LLC

Not necessarily illegal

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

There is NO law that says a Collection Agency can not contact other people in trying to contact you.  Per the FDCPA(Fair Debt Collection Practices Act), they are not allowed to discuss your debt with them.  So if they call these other people and ask them to call you about a "personal" issue..totally legal.  But if they go into talking about how much you owe, or why are you not paying your debts..illegal and a violation of the FDCPA.

The fact is that as far as they are concerned, you stopped calling them and were refusing to talk to them.   So they try to locate you through acquaintances.  I am not saying that they are right and you were trying to ignore them..I am just telling you why they did what they did.

The other issue to remember is that the FDCPA only applies to 3rd Party Collection Agency, and not to original creditors.