• Report: #720517

• Submitted: Thu, April 21, 2011
  • Updated: Wed, April 27, 2011

• Reported By: iluvbirds25 — San Diego California USA
Straight Talk Cell Phone Service

Straight Talk Cell Phone Service Bad Cell Phone Service, Bad Phones, Terrible Customer Service Internet

*Author of original report: Filed Case with BBB

I used Straight Talk, with good service, for several months prior to purchasing several months of prepaid service  & getting rid of my landline.

Soon afterwards, my Straight Talk phone screen stopped working.  I had to ship it back to the company (Walmart will not take phones back after 2 weeks).  They send an envelope to ship the phone in.  This meant I was without a phone for a few days of troubleshooting, a few days for their envelope to arrive and more than a week for the phone to be returned.  During that time, I had to have a phone, so I bouht a Slider phone for $69.99,  plus tax.  After a few weeks, it kept dropping soon after talking on it.  I had to send it back to Straight Talk.  Once again, I am without a phone while troubleshooting, waiting for the envelope and the week + for getting the phone back.  I cannot transfer my number to another Straight Talk phone during that time or they will not fix my phone for free; at least, that is what I was told.  Once I got the phone back, I found the same problems existed.  Walmart would not refund my $70.00+ .  From communicating with many other customers, I found the Straight Talk phone that I purchased was one that used AT&T service instead of Verizon.  No one at Straight Talk told me any of the phones differed in the server they were able to access.  I called Straight Talk and told them the phone did not work because it accessed AT&T service and I did not have good reception where I lived.  They sent me a brand new phone - exactly like the first one that did not work where I live.

Now, I have 2 phones, exactly alike that do not work well in my area.  I have a refurbished phone that was sent to me after my first phone went out.  Since I had paid for several months of service, I went out and both another of their phones for $99.99.  It worked great, but then stopped working right after about 5 weeks.  Again, Walmart would not let me return the phone.  I have not been able to get a phone signal for more than 4 days.  I have been in touch with customer service during this whole time.  They are little to no help.  They keep having me do the same things over and over.  I don't think those people know what they are talking about.  By a couple of days ago, it became obvious that something is wrong with the phone.  There is no dial tone and the battery won't hold a charge through the night.  I am having to go through the several days of customer service, then I will receive an envelope and then my phone will be away for over a week.  At least, this is what I expect.

During this whole time, I am paying the $45/mo and am not reimbursed for the time the times I am out of service.  From my own experience, and what I have read that other Straight Talk users have written, I have to wonder if their phones are defective.  I use electron things all the time and have never so many problems with things not working.

Straight Talk has got to have some of the worst Customer Service around.  Every time I speak with one of their representatives, it takes forever to have a conversation.  All of them have heavy foreign accents and use very poor English.  I cannot understand them; and, they cannot understand me.

If you get what you pay for, Straight Talk users deserve a lot more than the $30 or $45 low quality service that Straigh Talk provides.  It is very bad.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2011 03:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Straight-Talk-Cell-Phone-Service/internet/Straight-Talk-Cell-Phone-Service-Bad-Cell-Phone-Service-Bad-Phones-Terrible-Customer-Se-720517. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Straight Talk Cell Phone Service

Filed Case with BBB

AUTHOR: iluvbirds25 - (USA)

I have filed a case against Straight Talk with the BBB.  Today, I noticed that Straight Talk has a rating of C+ with the BBB.  It appears Straight Talk is owned by Trac Phone.

The Customer Service People are nice, but not very knowledgeable about their service or communicating with English Speaking Customers.  With almost every question I ask their Customer Service people, I have given a copious amount of thanks for my business and reminded how important I am to them.  After that, it is a bunch of nothing.  Basically, you hurry up and wait for your nonworking phone or lack of service to be fixed.  In the meantime your puchased minutes are going down the drain while the ST people progress slowly.

I now believe they drag their feet on purpose, using up your prepaid time while doing little on their part.  I also have to wonder about why everyone's "New" Straight Talk phones don't work.  For that many phones that are LC or Samsung, to cause so many problems, they must be defective
 phones that had to be repaired prior to leaving the manufactuer.  I have had 5 Straight Talk phones.  Two would not work in my area (520G- $69.99), the screen went out on one ($39.99) and the other ($99.99) stopped holding a charge after 4 weeks and also stopped receiving a network signal.  Presently, I am paid up with Straight Talk until the later part of June.  My phone quit workins several weeks ago, but the customer service people are still letting know they appreciate my business, as my prepaid service goes down the drain each day.  I wish their kindness paid my cellphone bill.