Complaint Review: Straight Talk Wireless

• Updated: Wed, May 29, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — Los Angeles California
Straight Talk Wireless
9700 NW 112th Avenue Miami , Florida USA

Straight Talk Wireless HIDDEN CHARGES AND FEES: False and misleading advertising Miami Florida

*Consumer Comment: Feel Lucky. My $45 turns out to be $49.41!!

Beware of hidden fees and charges!  I just switched to Straight Talk from Boost Mobile, enticed by the iPhone offer.  I was reassured by the advertising that Straight Talk was a straight $45 a month, no contract, no extra fees, no hidden charges, no tricks.  When I purchased the iPhone and the first service card, it was a straight $45, as advertised.  But it's not!  If you enroll in Auto-Refill, that $45 is actually $46.53 because they charge you extra fees and taxes instead of including it in the $45.  I was not informed of this when I signed up.  I never had a problem with Boost Mobile - it was always a straight $50 a month with auto-pay and with shrinkage I was down to $40.  Now I am stuck with Straight Talk because I have the iPhone that is locked to their service.  This is false advertising!  Although $1.53 may not seem like a lot, it adds up over time.  Plus I am sure there are thousands of Straight Talk customers beig overcharged the same way. More importantly, I really don't like being mislead.

Here's what my first auto-refill bill looked like:

Subtotal    $45.00
Discounts and Credits    $0.00
Tax1    $0.00
911 Surcharge, CPUC PPP Program and User fees    $0.76
Federal Universal Service3    $0.68
Regulatory Cost Recovery4    $0.09
Purchase Amount    $46.53

What's even weirder is if you buy the $45 service card at Wal-Mart, it is a straight $45, no hidden fees or charges.  That's what I paid when I first bought the iPhone and the service card.  If you try to sort this out with Straight Talk - be prepared for absolutely no help.  My call to customer service went to the Philippines and 3 customer service agents and 40 minutes later, I asked to be switched to the corporate office customer service in the US.  The nice woman claimed to be from the corporate office, but sounded an awful like the other customer service agents I spoke to.  Each agent just asked me to repeat what I had told the last one and they proceeded to repeat back to me the same explanations I had already heard.  The bottom line - they said they had to collect the extra fees and taxes, but if I bought the card at the store, I would not be charged e these extra fees.

Does that make any sense?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2013 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Straight-Talk-Wireless/Miami-Florida-33178/Straight-Talk-Wireless-HIDDEN-CHARGES-AND-FEES-False-and-misleading-advertising-Miami-1054885. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Straight Talk Wireless

Feel Lucky. My $45 turns out to be $49.41!!

AUTHOR: Gary - ()

I have the same $45 straight talk DEAL...However in NC my bill has crept up several times and is now $49.41!!