Complaint Review: Stream Energy, Center Point Energy

• Submitted: Wed, August 20, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, October 20, 2008

• Reported By:Houston Texas
Stream Energy, Center Point Energy
streamenergy.org Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Stream Energy, Center Point Energy The company will not accept that the meter is not correct. Centerpoint says it is, but I know it's not. I have observed it my self. 500.00 light bill for an apartment with no amenaties. Dallas Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: fast spinning meter problems

*Consumer Suggestion: Phantom Loads

I moved from one apartment to another in the same complex. Since I have moved here my electric bill has been rediclulously high. My bill for July was 503.00 dollars. My husband, brother, and I observed it for awhile. It was spinning out of control and then it stopped, completely stopped for about 2-3 minutes. I had Center Point Energy come out and do a meter test. They came out on August 14, 2008 and said it was 99.5% accurate. I very seriously doubt that my meter was accurate. When I put the order in for the meter test Center Point Energy said there would be no charge to me since it needed to be tested anyways. I have spent numerouse of time on the phone with both Stream Energy and Center Point Energy and I have gotten no where. I would like to know what else can be done?

Joanna
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2008 04:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Stream-Energy-Center-Point-Energy/Dallas-Texas-75219/Stream-Energy-Center-Point-Energy-The-company-will-not-accept-that-the-meter-is-not-corre-365095. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Stream Energy, Center Point Energy

#1 Consumer Suggestion

fast spinning meter problems

AUTHOR: Oklahomagirl - (U.S.A.)

You also need to have the apartment complex contact an electrician to have them test the wiring and the appliances. Sometimes appliances pull more electricity than they need. Unfortunally when this happenes the electric companies in the state of Texas will not put a credit on the account, they would refer you to take it up with the apartment complex. The reason for this is because if there is a malfunction with the appliance which causes the appliance to pull to much electricty, the electricy is used so you are responsible for the usage. :( Sucks I know but I have seen apartment complex's give the credit back to the consumer. Also Im curious to know what your temp is set at in your house. Most electric companies recommend to have it set between 79 and 82. I know that sounds high, but I know how hot it gets in Houston and if its 100 out side you figure there is a 20 degree difference. For every degree your temp is set at below 79 this raises your electric bill 9% (of course this is an average, and Texas has VERY high electric rates). (No thanks to de-regulation). Also I have seen apartment complex's have the outside lights hooked to tennants meters, this may also be a problem. But DEFINTALLY have the apartment look at everything. :)

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Phantom Loads

AUTHOR: Alan - (U.S.A.)

You may want to start with the apartment maintenance people... most apartment complexes have a lot of phantom loads.. hall lighting, street and parking lot lighting are ect. are hooked to one or more apartments, so the complex does not have to pay to run them. I have seen one unit that was running the swimming pool, and had been for years.. you could be supplying power for things you never thought of..

You can also start at the braker box in the apartment, have some one watch the meter and start tripping off the brakers, if you turn them all off and the meter is still turning, your feeding something out side your unit.. then you need to contact the power company and have them find out what your paying for that you should not be billed for...