Complaint Review: StubHub

• Submitted: Thu, August 22, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, August 22, 2013

• Reported By: theBigLip — Santa Cruz California
, Select State/Province USA

StubHub StubHub trying to rip off seller when buyers actually got upgraded seats?! Internet

I sold hard tickets to a Brandi Carlile show at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga through StubHub. No problems with the transaction.

I found out from the Sales Director at the Winery that there had been a problem caused by them, and they had sold duplicate tickets. My buyers were initially denied entrance, but within 10 minutes, not only did they get in, they got UPGRADED tickets. Quote from the Sales Director - "they were thrilled".

Now is when it gets weird. The buyers called StubHub at first when they didn't immediately get in. So the next day I get an email from StubHub:

The buyer reported the tickets were invalid for this order and, as a result, was denied entry to the event. Because the buyer was denied entry to the event, you are required to provide the buyer with a refund. You may also be charged additional fees such as the cost to provide replacement tickets or other fees to make this right with the buyer.

Obviously they didn't get the update from the buyer. I responded back politely:

The buyer got into the show and received upgraded seats so this claim is invalid. I verified this with the sales director at the venue. Let me know if you need any other information.

At this point I think it is a done deal. But no, they write back:

I am following up with you from the Executive Customer Care Department
at StubHub regarding the tickets you sold for the Brandi Carlile on
8/15/13.  I received the information you sent into ITC Support and
unfortunately this is not sufficient documentation.  Please provide a
scan report showing all attempted (successful and unsuccessful) scans,
as well as section, row, seat numbers, and barcodes.  Also, please
provide any other written documentation that the venue will be able to
provide you with.  I will need this documentation by end of business on
8/19/13 otherwise I will need to move forward with the charges on your
account, in compliance with Section 5.4 of our User Agreement, a legally
binding contract required to use our marketplace.  Please contact us
directly with any questions or concerns.

So I write them back, with the info from the very nice Sales Director of the venue:

...From Row L to F,  2 off center aisle, 5 rows closer...

and his own comments

We created issue & solved within 10 min – We upgraded the customers seats and they were thrilled, just contact them…

My info below – if you need to speak with me

Of course, they do not bother to contact the Sales Director, but they now use this information against that there had been a problem. From StubHub:

In dispute of this claim, we require an original receipt of purchase. As the buyer advised there was an issue with the tickets provided and you have confirmed the buyer's claim, we cannot pay you on this order as the buyer is entitled to a refund under the terms of our FanProtect Guarantee.  Please forward a copy of your receipt for purchase of these tickets and as a courtesy, we will pay you face value. Additional charges will be waived on the order.  If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly. Thank you.

Now they want to take away any profit I made, and pocket the money. I can't imagine they actually give it to the buyer. Speaking of which, they refuse to contact the buyer who made the complaint because it is against their "policy".

I didn't even make that much on these tickets, but if they take my profit away, we are totally going to court. I am going to write yet another email and see if I can make any progress. Talking to them on the phone is worthless - the front line people taking the calls are all reading off of scripts - they might as well be robots. Worst customer service ever!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2013 10:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/StubHub/Select-StateProvince/StubHub-StubHub-trying-to-rip-off-seller-when-buyers-actually-got-upgraded-seats-Intern-1078304. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on StubHub