Complaint Review: StubHub

• Submitted: Thu, December 20, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, December 29, 2012

• Reported By: Nicole — Huntington Beach California United States of America
StubHub

StubHub Allows sellers to take back tickets after they've sold them to you & charged you for them - BEWARE!! Internet

*General Comment: Unsafe?

On 9/14/2012 I purchased 5 Orchestra seats in Row 13 for The Long Island Medium: Theresa Caputo at Long Beach Terrace Theater, Long Beach, CA on Wed, 11/07/2012, 8:00 p.m. I paid $139 for each ticket. I received a confirmation email with an order # and my credit card was charged $776.45 including processing fees and delivery charges.

Now for the good part! Seven days later I received this email:

Thank you for buying your tickets through StubHub.

I sincerely apologize that the original tickets you ordered are unavailable. We would like to provide replacement tickets at no additional cost to you. Sets of five tickets are scarce to say the least so we would love to hear from you as soon as possible.
Please call us at 1.866.STUBHUB (1.866.788.2482).
Thanks for choosing StubHub. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Justin
StubHub Customer Service

I called and was informed that they couldn't replace my tickets.ORCH He wouldn't say why exactly but it was obvious to me - tickets in  Row 14 were now going for $589 each!! The seller must have decided to re-sell them. He would only offer to refund my credit card and give me $100 credit with StubHub. After going round and round and getting NOWHERE, I asked to speak with his supervisor. He said that he wasn't available but would call me back within 48 hours. At this point I was stuck because I couldn't afford to replace my seats. All seats prices had sky rocketed. I was kicking myself because at the time I purchased these tickets I could have got tickets through the theater for about $80 each a few rows back but I was willing to pay more thru StubHub for the slightly better seats. I was sick. My friends had entrusted me to get the tickets and now we had none!

I wasn't confident that a supervisor would call me back in 48 hours. In fact I think that is too long to have to wait. So I asked a favor of a friend who is in the business - he made some phone calls. Long story short I eventually got a call. The best he would offer me were seats in the LODGE section! Not even close to the quality of seats I had originally purchased!! At this point I was stuck - I either accepted these seats or we didn't get to go. I made a deal with the devil. They sold me these seats in the LODGE section for the same price I paid for my original seats in the ORCHESTRA section plus they refunded $130.

I want others to know that this CAN happen. I had no idea that STUBHUB would allow sellers to pull tickets they've sold you. It is NOT a safe place to buy tickets. The StubHub FanProtect Guarantee does NOT protect the buyer. Who are they kidding? They are in business with their sellers!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2012 11:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/StubHub/internet/StubHub-Allows-sellers-to-take-back-tickets-after-theyve-sold-them-to-you-charged-you-984954. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on StubHub

#1 General Comment

Unsafe?

AUTHOR: gigi - (United States of America)

I think anytime you buy anything online you are taking somewhat of a chance.  in this case you at least have a company standing behind it.  I am not sure what you mean.  if you had just bought from a stranger you would be completely SOL.  are you not fortunate you at least can get your money back?  I think you need to grow up.