Complaint Review: Sub Teach USA

• Submitted: Mon, July 28, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, November 11, 2011

• Reported By:louisville Kentucky
Sub Teach USA
505 South 4th St Paragould, Arkansas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-541-6377
  • Web:
  • Category: Teachers

Sub Teach USA this place will cheat you and use you Paragould Arkansas

*UPDATE Employee: Enjoy Sub Teach USA.

*Consumer Comment: To Ex-Employee

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: 2010-2011 Employee

*Consumer Comment: My brother worked for them.

When I first started working here, I really enjoyed it but then they started taking advantage of me. They would schedule me to work. I would drive 10-15 miles to that school and when I got there, I would be told that the teacher I was covering for wasn't absent.. I would not get paid and would be out that gas. On a few days, I would go in and work 2 hours or so and then they would not need me anymore and send me home and I didn't get paid.because I had not been there at least a half day.

Then it got to where the "boss" who thought that just because she was a licensed teacher could control everyone, was always complaining about every little thing I did. One day I went to work, she came in and in front of the class pulled me out and accused me of doing something I did NOT do and fired me. She basically accused me of child abuse. I had worked 2 1/2 hours that day and again didn't get paid.

Sub teaching is hard enough and they only pay minimum wage but they will take advantage of you.. they owe me at least 2 days pay for all the days I worked 2 hours and then they sent me home.. and there were at least 3-4 times I drove 30-35 miles round trip to work only to get there and find out that the teacher wasn't gone or that they scheduled me for Feb and it should have been March.. I got paid nothing for any of that..

The school pays them for the time I am there but they don't pay me. The "boss" is really rude and "knows everything".. so beware if you work for this company

louisville, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/28/2008 01:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sub-Teach-USA/Paragould-Arkansas/Sub-Teach-USA-this-place-will-cheat-you-and-use-you-Paragould-Arkansas-356322. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sub Teach USA

Enjoy Sub Teach USA.

AUTHOR: drdcrops - ()

Sub Teach is a great tool for those individuals wanting to sub either a lot or a little.  You are not penalized for turning down a position, however many times. You are always paid at least for a half day, if not a full day. I'm not sure the previous sub worked for Sub Teach USA. As long as you've gotten a confirmation and you show up, you will be paid. The school districts control how much you are paid not Sub Teach. They never come to your subbing school. While at a school the principal is your boss.

I feel Sub Teach is a very professional and useful company.  I would recommend it to anyone. Best of all, you get paid weekly! :-)

To Ex-Employee

AUTHOR: slejax - (USA)

Well I feel your pain (author tiastaafl) and absolutely your frustration.  I would like to find a way by which I may reach you for our concerns carry the same message in some respects.  Help me without devulging too much how we may connect for I do firmly believe there are serious issues with how they do business.  I hope to hear from you soon!!!!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

2010-2011 Employee

AUTHOR: tiastaafl - (USA)

I began substituting for SubTeachUSA in October of 2010, and loved it... at first. I was studying to be a teacher and this seemed like a great way to be paid for practical experience. I was doing well -- Teachers, Admin, and Students all liked me. I was quickly becoming one of the most-requested substitutes in the area. There were even days when Teachers would make deals between themselves where I would be the sought-after prize as the desired substitute.

I do not drive, but lived close enough to the schools in the district that I had no problem getting to work either by walking or a short cab ride.

In a pinch, I agreed (foolishly) to work in another nearby district. The cab ride cost me $16 each direction. I was only paid $55 for the full day's work -- GROSS. My tax withholdings were approximately 22% so my net pay for that day was $42 and change. So I worked an 8+ hour day for about $10. Okay, it was a one-off, but I could not do that again. They knew it was not my district, but would call me with work for that district after that -- and count it against me if I refused. I finally got that straightened out, and the issue mentioned above by the original report happened to me: I would be called to work and arrive to find the teacher not absent. Other issues arose... I would work a substitute position for 9 school days and then be re-assigned to another school for 1 day, then back to the classroom whose Teacher was out on Maternity again. The dodge there being that if you were assigned to the same classroom for 10 school days consecutively, it counted as a Long-Term Assignment and they had to pay you a higher amount, including the days already worked. The frustration was mounting, but I was able to go on.

Then out of nowhere I suddenly was being given only four, then three, then two to two and a half days per week only. I called every day and was grabbing as many assignments as I could through the online application as possible to boost myself back to at least four days per week. $240 Gross for a week is not enough to be able to do more than subsist on anywhere in the United States, but I made do the best I could.

I was still getting requests and then began being told by Teachers that they were frustrated that I was so busy and only able to cover one day for them. They told me about requesting me and being told that I was unavailable at times when I knew I had been told that I had no pending jobs. In the second week of March, 2011, I received a call from the "Director" that I was being "released" from employment and the pending assignments I had were even taken from me. I was told that there were "many" complaints against me, but that I wasn't allowed to know the details because it was confidential. I was told that the reasons I was being fired were:

1) Wardrobe Violation - I was accused of wearing sweats to work once, and received a call from SubTeach at the end of the school day -- I don't even own a pair of sweats now or then, and even took a photo of the slacks I was wearing that day and it was sent to SubTeach with an email from the Principal of the school I was at that day. 2) Inability to Control Classroom Behavior - This is something I later found out that all the first-year substitutes in that district were told when they were fired.

I immediately called the substitute liason at the school I was supposed to be working at the next day to let her know. What I found out is that SubTeach had called her that morning soliciting complaints, and "seemed pretty desperate to find some" about me. This struck me as suspicious, and I called the substitute liasons in the rest of the schools to find the same thing. The five schools I worked at more than once had all had complaint solicitation calls that morning -- and all five had told the caller that there were none, that I was a favorite. I called the other six schools that I had substituted for even once, and two had not received calls. The other four had not filed any complaints. I called the out-of-district school, just to be sure. They had neither received a call, nor had they filed a complaint.

I understand the ease that a school district has of not having to maintain their own Substitute List, and the attraction of a centralized company, but this company is a definite Scam. Schools paying SubTeach $100 - $140 per day for the services, and the substitute gets $50 - $70. Half?!? Really?!?

My brother worked for them.

AUTHOR: jimk - (USA)

I have never worked for Sub Teach,but my brother has.He worked quite a bit and had no problem getting paid.He was working an average of 2-4 days per week.I am not saying that this person is wrong,because I never worked for them,but I do know that my brother never had a problem.