Complaint Review: Substitute Teachers Unlimited

Updated: Friday, 13 May 2011, 6:14 PM EDT

Published : Friday, 13 May 2011, 6:14 PM EDT

By BILL GALLAGHER

WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

WARREN, Mich. (WJBK) - Substitute teachers are complaining about not getting their paychecks, or when they do, they bounce. A company in Warren hires the teachers and is responsible for paying them. After fielding complaints from unpaid teachers, FOX 2 went to work to find out what's happening.  Traci Morris runs You're the Bride Wedding Planning in Redford, but sometimes she substitute teaches at Advanced Technology Academy, which is a charter school in Dearborn.

"I love kids and a couple days a week, when I've got some free time in my schedule, I will sub, and I've been doing that for about five years now," she said.  Substitute Teachers Unlimited, a Warren-based staffing company, actually hired Traci. The company staffs about 50 charter schools in metro Detroit and in five other states.  However, payroll has become a problem. "They bounced my check four times now, and every time they do it, they always make good on it.  They replenish the fees, but this last couple weeks, they're not paying me at all," Morris told us.

We went to the company's Warren office looking for answers.  Drake Gates said Wells Fargo Bank cut off his company's money used to front end payroll costs. "We get paid by our customers, sure, but the cash flow is really difficult right now because if we don't have a bank that's actually backing us, we don't get enough money on a weekly basis to be able to take care of our payroll," he told us. The owner said some schools pay in 60 or 90 day intervals, but payroll checks must be cut every week and the cash flow problem is serious. "We might even get kicked out of our office here because we just don't have the money.  Cash flow isn't there," Gates explained. "I think they're blaming it.

I don't agree with that at all.  They're definitely getting the money from the schools.  I checked with my school, and they said, 'No, we are paying them.  They should be paying you,'" Morris told us. The owner said the economy has hurt the business, but assured everyone will be paid. "We're in the automotive industry, too, so it's very difficult right now in the state.  So, we're just doing the best we can right now.  We're going to pay everybody.  I just want you to know that," said Gates. "Just pay us.  We are doing a service for you.  We did our end.  Please pay us.  That's all we want," Morris said.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2011 07:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Substitute-Teachers-Unlimited/Warren-Michigan-48093/Substitute-Teachers-Unlimited-Fox-Detroit-News-Story-Warren-Michigan-736632. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Substitute Teachers Unlimited